6.7 Aftertreatment Diagnosis

Rate this topic

Excellent presentation, I have never considered the miles to hours calculations before but will use them in the future for sure!

I live and die by these when it comes to our fleet. We have some trucks that just simpley have to idle more then normal. Its a constant conversations with our drivers about the importance of engine hours

This is awesome thanks, one question I have is when looking at the fuel grams added per injector, what range seems to be too much added too much taken out, and what is considered normal? Haven't fooled with too many 6.7s yet as most of our fleet work goes to warranty when they're brand new.

• 1 year later...

We were playing with a 2015 6.7 in class last week which leaves me with a lot of questions.  Ford changed the PIDs again for soot/ash. These captures are all the same truck before and after regen:

gallery_59_141_73429.jpg

gallery_59_141_22342.jpg

gallery_59_141_64801.jpg

gallery_59_141_92824.jpg

Why the discrepancies?

I think I've mentioned this before, but I think Ford has the PID labels switched.  If DPF load goes to zero and Soot load won't go to zero, that suggests to me that Soot Inferred is actually Ash (because it won't go to zero) and "load" is soot because it WILL go to zero after regens. In my opinion, there should be two pids, "soot" which goes to zero after regens, and "load"  showing the calculated accumulation of ash over miles.

Comments?

• Like 1

While this is all very interesting and with out a doubt very useful information, I have yet to diagnose any 6.7L equipped vehicle for DPF issues. We actually see vehicles with well over 250,000 km's on them with the original After-treatment systems in them. 

Just saw this. Might explain the wacky readings.

Apr 19 2016  2921 - 2011-2016 F-Super Duty - 6.7L Engine Only - Updated PC/ED Diagnostics And Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Load Parameter Identification Data (PID)

The Powertrain Control/Emission Diagnostic (PC/ED) manual has recently been updated for 2011-2016 F-Super Duty equipped with a 6.7L engine. A revised PID for determining DPF load has been released with integrated diagnostic system (IDS) service calibration release B99.01 and later. The new PID is labeled DPF_LOAD_PKUPfor pickups, indicated by the third vehicle identification number (VIN) as a T and DPF_LOAD_CMRL for chassis cabs where the third VIN character is a D. The newPID data is displayed as a percentage on IDS and should be utilized when directed from the PC/ED for determining DPF soot load.

• 2 weeks later...

Heads up for 2017: Just got back from school, Advanced Electronics, and as usual there was some diesel talk going on. The after treatment is getting reworked for 2017. Same basic parts, just reworked. I asked the instructor if they are going to put in a dedicated regen injector like the 3.2L, He agreed it is the smart way to go, but wasn't informed on all the details, so he doesn't know. 

• 4 weeks later...

for the cyl_bal pids. is there a published spec from Ford for a limit? I believe 6.4L short term trims we didn' want to see higher then 8 (correct me if I'm wrong) are we using 0.08 as a limit on 6.7's before we should be worried or just go by a difference between the rest of the cylinders?

The spec. on 6.4 was anything above 10 or below -10. I haven't seen anything about specs. for 6.7 but I do remember pinpoint test simply tells you to compare to other cylinders and see if one Is way out relative to the others.

• 6 years later...

Question I noticed during your regen EGT1 is half the temp of 2 3 and 4 on regens all 4 of my temps run around 1200 is that normal?

• 4 months later...
On 5/28/2022 at 8:06 AM, Mike B. said:

Question I noticed during your regen EGT1 is half the temp of 2 3 and 4 on regens all 4 of my temps run around 1200 is that normal?

Late answer... yes EGT 11 will be significantly lower than the others because it is before any of the catalysts

Thank you for the reply Keith now I need to figure out why the temp is so high on EGT 1 during regen possible exhaust leak allowing too much oxygen in the exhaust possible cause of a 207F as well??

11 hours ago, Mike B. said:

Thank you for the reply Keith now I need to figure out why the temp is so high on EGT 1 during regen possible exhaust leak allowing too much oxygen in the exhaust possible cause of a 207F as well??

What year is your truck? 

2011 pickup I dropped the exhaust and put a scope down the front and the DOC looks like it has a hole burned through it. I had a stuck open  injector no.8 had to be dumping raw fuel before so I am guessing that's what it's from. Explains why EGT 1 was high during regen I would think?