My first 6.4 repair...

Rate this topic

This '08 came in with a complaint of popping underhood and no power. IDS showed a bad cylinder contribution on #8, and slight drop on #3 and #6. #6 and #8 both showed 3% drop and 6% drop respectively on relative compression tests. Here is the #8 exhaust rocker:

photo 5.JPG

Oddly the #8 INTAKE pushrod was bent also. My plan is to replace rocker arms, bridges, pushrods, fuel supply tubes etc., But I began wondering about lifter condition, and the cause of the bent intake pushrod. First I used an elastic band around the lower cover bolts to hold the top of the pushrods "up" toward the center of the engine. I then barred over until both pushrods were "down" (lifters sitting on the base circle of the cam. Then I took a rough measurement from the top of the pushrod to the lower cover lip...both were about 2.623". This was a rough measurement because of space limitations, but hopefully enough to tell me there is no terrible lifter/cam wear.

photo 1.JPG

photo 4.JPG

I then installed a dial indicator with the tip on top of each pushrod, zeroed it with the lifter on the base circle, then barred the engine over and watched the lift as the pushrods came up. Both intake and exhaust showed about .220" lift on each pushrod.

image1.jpeg

Based on these measurements, I'm thinking the lifters/lobes are ok. (or they are both worn almost exactly equally...unlikely). I'd appreciate your educated opinions! Is there something I'm overlooking?

image.jpeg

photo 2.JPG

Looks good, I like the testing and results.

Not sure of the mileage or how long this unit sits, but every bent push rod in my bay was the result of a valve that did not open when asked.

Looks good, I like the testing and results.

Not sure of the mileage or how long this unit sits, but every bent push rod in my bay was the result of a valve that did not open when asked.

Brad, can you elaborate? Valve not opening due to carbon?

I gotta ask...I don't know how much wear is common, but the fulcrum tips of ALL the rocker arms (where they contact the valve bridges), are badly worn and spalled...so bad that one is missing the little metal clip that holds the tip in. (I can't find it, so it's somewhere in the engine). I'm gonna report it to the customer...could cause bad things to happen in the future yes?

Worn out rocker arms are normal on 6.4s. Seems like evey one I have valve cover off of are worn out. I agree with Brad see if valves move. We had a truck come thru dealer that broke rocker arm valve stuck and seen in warranty history that the other head was just replaced for same concern the month prior like 1500 miles before.

Although the measurements look good, the last one I had with the pushtube bent and the rocker arm broken, ended up having the corresponding roller MIA on on the lifter, scalding the cam lobe nicely.

Interesting lifter failures. It seems that well cycled, high mileage engines are bending push rods due to lifters, as opposed to low mileage not driven vehicles that used to exhibit stuck valves.

So the next step would be to look down in there at the tops of lifters and drain the oil to look at the magnet?

2 of the many 6.4s I've seen have catastrophic failure I found that lifter spring clip wedged into the pressure relief valve of the oil pump.

• 3 weeks later...