04. Oil temp

Rate this topic

Will high oil temperature cause a derate or warning light to come on? Had a guy bring one to me for diagnostic of head gasket failure. They are leaking but i noticed on the test drive the oil temp kept creeping up, it was at 218 deg f when i got back to shop. Told him he needed head gaskets an oil cooler and probably an egr valve for the fault code. Gave him the est and told what i found. He didnt like the price an left. But got me to thinking about the oil temp an engine protection.

Come to think of it I do not believe the 2004 6.0L has any engine derate strategies in it's calibrations. An overheat condition on a 6.0L will not initiate an engine de-rate condition as far as I know. In fact, those of us that have come across engines that have melted down can confirm that they will run at full power until the engine locks up or loses injection pressure. I have seen three such examples over the years and there are pictures around here of melted oil filter standpipes as examples. This condition can et a P0298 – Engine Oil Over temperature Condition. DTC P0298 will turn on the Check Engine light... the temp gauge will likely be pegged and possibly illuminate the red engine light. The code sets when the oil temperature rises above 100*C / 230*F and sustains for a certain amount for time. (I cant seem to documentation find how long that time is)

Thanks. Well this guy keeps hurting himself and i am done doing work for him. He blew a cooler wrecked the engine. Than insisted on putting a used engine in that now has leaking head gaskets. I put a new coolers in it because the egr was leaking. Flushed the hell out of the cooling system but it appears there is crap in the cooler already. Oil temp was 218 n coolant was 200. I told him not to drive it until its fixed but who knows with this guy

218, or for that matter, 230F oil temp won't hurt an engine.  IH prints 250F max oil temp, and Valvoline says 260 for dino oil and something higher than that for full synthetics. I think Mobil told me 275 for short times is max for Mobil 1.  I researched this heavily a few years ago because I built an air cooled stroker and it would creep up to 260F EOT at high speeds.  A bigger oil cooler fixed it and brought temps down to the normal 220ish range. Air cooled engines WANT oil temp over 200 as a minimum, and I feel most engines should run over 200 to boil the condensation from the oil.  

I have a capture of a 6.0 with a restricted oil cooler doing 233 EOT on the highway with a spread of 45F between EOT and ECT. FMC says 15F difference max between EOT and ECT, I use the old number of 25F max.

BTW, EOT means nothing at idle, low speeds, or around town.  EOT won't creep up until 10-20 miles at highway speeds, and the higher the better to see what the EOT actually stabilizes at.

Depending on what your ECT was when the EOT was 218, it is probably a normal condition. IH uses 230 EOT as the spec when they measure oil pressure on a VT365 (6.0PSD).

:grin:

From OnCommand VT365:

Regulating Valve:  Pressure, low idle (min @ 110 °C (230 °F) oil temp.) 69 kPa (10 psi)  Pressure, high idle (min @ 110 °C (230 °F) oil temp.) 276 kPa (40 psi)  Discharge pressure (2,500 rpm)  483 - 621 kPa (70 - 90 psi) End clearance (inner and outer rotor to housing) 0.02 - 0.08 mm (0.001 - 0.003 in) Radial clearance (between outer rotor and housing) 0.15 - 0.28 mm (0.006 - 0.011in) Thermostat Type Balanced pressure, wax pellet Minimum recommended coolant operating temperature 71 °C (160 °F) Start-to-open temperature, 0.381 mm (0.015 in) stroke 87 - 91 °C (188 - 196 °F) Full-open temperature, 8 mm (0.315 in) stroke 104 °C (219 °F)

I believe they will de-rate and throw the wrench light when it sets the P012F correlation code.

Only on 2005 and up model years. 2003-2004 engines are excluded from that strategy.

The biggest problem is if the eot is that high because the cooler is plugged, the egr cooler is being starved for coolant. The owner will find out soon enough how expensive it can get if he leaves it.