Slide hammer an injector out!!!!

Rate this topic

This one was a first for me. The truck had two crush washer failures (that I found so far),, and it was burnt so freakin bad that it wouldn't come out of the bore. I first thought that a rocker was binding on it,, but not so much. I shot some videos.

I'm sure you guys have prob seen this before,, I haven't tho. Lol.

I have only seen an injector stick in the bore once at my shop. Don't think we had to resort to a slide hammer though. Sucks when things like this happen though!

In the video you said you had a brush and a drill and were going to clean out the bore. I have tried that method with marginal results. The injector cups on any cylinder with combustion leaks and loose injectors should be REPLACED. Otherwise the risk of a repeat failure is very high. Also you do know that when this happens it is recommended to replace all injectors on the affected cylinder bank as well as the fuel inlet fitting/check valve at the cylinder head? (I never saw the point in replacing the check valve and I am still struggling to understand the reasoning) 

I was aware of replacing all the ones on the bank. I hadn't thought about it tho. I should've bubble tested. From how the truck ran, I chalked it to stiction. Guess I need to start testing more before going in. Any of you guys seen the actual injector cup crack? Those cups are not flimsy.

I have a video showing the brush I use to clean the bore. I use wd/40 and a nylon round brush and I've had lots of success with it. Mainly to clean remnants of the orings and minor combustion,,, this is the worst one I've seen tho. I'm gonna have to suggest a stud job to be able to warranty the injectors. Depending on how clean the cups come in chassis.

I saw one cup cracked in a core head returned from one of our fleet parts customers. I don't think under ordinary circumstances a cup could crack in a 6.0, it would almost have to be a flaw.

I would never bore brush a questionable cup. I've always replaced any I thought were suspect. Whitaker makes a tool to do cups in chassis. It's expensive but one job could pay for the tool when head removal is the other option.

On the other hand if you slide hammered an injector you can probably slide hammer the cup too.

Just put some grease on a dime and put it down into the bottom of the cup, then use the regular tool(s). Keep a spare head gasket and bolts for warranty purposes. they'll ask for em back. Lol

We had one a couple of years ago that had stuck injectors, the guy working on it gave up and took the head off and punched them out. I think the customer was running some kind of biodiesel.

I keep 5/8" fine thread nuts around just for this situation.  You never know when you're going to have to slide hammer something and when that time comes all you have to do is weld a nut.

You have an obsession with welding don't you! :crazy: Oh boy... :haha2:

I keep 5/8" fine thread nuts around just for this situation.  You never know when you're going to have to slide hammer something and when that time comes all you have to do is weld a nut.

You have an obsession with welding don't you! :crazy: Oh boy... :haha2:

What's wrong with that? :confused:

You're just jealous cause you can't do it. :haha2: