08 F250 Missfire

Rate this topic

Hello All,  Long Time No See,

Have 08 F250 4x4 80k, No history available. Clean truck. 5th Wheel hitch. Setting Contribution Codes #2 & #7.  Short term fuel trim 16 & 18% Also #3 Short fuel trim 13% but no misfires. [All Lean]  Using Solus scanner so tests are limited. Injector test says they are working. No vent out degas. Flat dead miss 2 & 7. No smoke rings out oil cap or exaust.

Quick diag. tells me 2 injectors out. 3rd on the way. Any ideas?? What about possible valve problem?  My experience with 6.4 is nonexistent.

Surfing posts suggests bubbles in fuel system and valve/head troubles? I know #7 is meltdown cylinder from my 6.0 days as well as #2 for 6.4 as I read posts.

No way to do compression test at the moment. Looking for adapter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!  May be able to pick this truck up cheap. 2 trips to auction with no sale.

Thanks in advance, Mike

Find somebody with an IDS to check your trims and do a relative compression. In a class a while back, we compared STFT on a 6.4 using a Modis and an IDS, the numbers were not even remotely similar.  I think Solus, Modis and other SO tools use the same software.

:grin:

Get an IDS on it and verify fuel trims for each injector and perform relative compression( or manual compression). Also check secondary fuel filter housing for any metal floating in the fuel, along with any rust. If compression is good across all cylinders, it probably needs a fuel system. If any cylinders are low, it probably needs a complete engine. I have in my bay currently a 08 F-450 that the customer already installed a #8 injector and both EGR coolers, but still had a miss. Relative compression was down 17% on #8, #8 injector was +18% on fuel trim, and the secondary housing was filled with a combination of mud, rust, and metal. It's getting a complete motor, new low pressure fuel pump, and fuel tank is getting swapped for one that's already been cleaned and relined.. oh and it's customer pay :grin:

We have a local radiator shop that will clean them out and apply a new liner to the inside that is much thicker and robust than the factory liner. I've been here 2 1/2 years now and have yet to see the liner fail yet. It usually cost the customer around $300 and takes around a week to get it back, mostly allowing for curing time of the liner. That's why we stole an extra fuel tank off a LCF that a customer was scrapping and use it to have one ready to go.

You all are correct as usual,

Had time to get it inside today.

Fuel filters Dirty, Sediment and Water in primary, Small amount of metal in secondary.

Took fuel sample from rail and found substantial amount of metal.

Sales Manager denied any further testing after I explained what was happening.

Don't think this one is worth buying at any price. Repairs will exceed value of the truck.

Thanks Again Saved Me A Major Headache!!   Mike