Got One!

Rate this topic

Our dealer finally got one with a diesel engine in for stock. I did not get to drive it yet but I will eventually. One of the mops was doing a PDI on it and I happened to poke my head under the hood and start her up. Smooth and quiet but it sounds like a diesel engine. Being an in-line engine it does not look "stuffed" into the engine compartment and many things are accessible... or as accessible as can be in a Transit. Since I have yet to see one in for any repairs the jury is still out on serviceability where any model and engine combinations are concerned. But! Remember the pictured Bruce provided to us and recall the components mounted on the rear of the engine? Yeah. This is going to be a problem especially with no access cover. What are the chances that the EGR system will be trouble free on this engine? :ohnoes:

I am pretty sure that there is an access cover in the cab. There was mention of it in the NMT course.

I must have been smoking something special when I took it then. Damn, I was sure I read somewhere there was an access point in the cab.  :confused:

I've worked on one and saw another other in the Transit class. I wish there was an access panel, but due to the design on the dash there is not one.  But they are nice to drive. I was able to drive the one home overnight while it was in for repairs, and on a 100 mile round trip averaged 21 mpg.

• 5 weeks later...

Our dealer group has one now for a parts delivery van. They gelled it up on Monday so I had the opportunity to educate the driver about anti-gel additive and do a fuel filter - which is way over engineered btw.  I was afraid I was going to break it's plastic housing, but it worked out ok (this time). 

I drove it around the block, it felt very much like the Diesel Sprinter it replaced. It is not hard to see where ford got the inspiration for this vehicle. It does seem that the build quality is a little better than it's Dodge/Mercedes predecessor. Time will tell I guess.

Also took a look at the egt sensors... Still not anti-seized from the factory, but the replacement Powerstroke bungs will work for these too so stock up now!  :smokinj:

• 3 weeks later...

we had one come in that needed def,opened the hood and love where they put the egr cooler,that will never be a problem..... Don't know if its going to be remove transmission to replace egr cooler or not....

I read the manual on the EGR cooler... out the top. Starts with removing the valve cover I think

You remove the engine appearance cover, then the intake manifold. We have a V6 Ecoboost in getting the transmission fixed(removing that looked like a pain), there seemed to be enough room to work through the hood though on the gasser, so I think the diesel will be not to bad.

• 2 months later...

A little late to the club but we got one in last night. Got to do the service on it today and drive it around a little. I am very impressed with the power this thing has, it runs great and doesn't feel like it going to careen off the road going around a turn (ahem e-series).

The reason we have it is kind of funny. Our GM who is notoriously anti-diesel got it dealer traded not even realizing what it was. No one in the area had a gasser cube van, the sales manager told him it would have to be ordered. Well he found one and got it....or not.

image.jpg

image.jpg

I was surprised to be behind one on the road that was a 350 high top LWB and notice it has a 8.8 rear end. It was SRW so it is not the high GVW but I still expected a 350 to use a Sterling/Visteon 10.25/10.5 rear.

All classes I have took state that all transits will come with the 9.75 rear axle in a full float axle. The dual rear wheels have a different rotor and caliper setup, but use the same rear ended.