2014 f350 small oil leak?

Rate this topic

Got a 14 f-350 13,900 miles 6.7 is  wet oily at bottom half of the trans bell housing rear oil pan area.

Top of engine valley is perfectly dry front to back. Sides of block dry. Done a few different leaks on these but not like this.

Just wondering If anyone had an experience with this before this comes back and I start tearing it down. Even with dye you can't tell where it is coming from. I suspect I will pull the trans and see what it looks like.

Rear main, rear cover, rear of pan gasket?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for the long wait on update.

So I pulled trans had a good look. Well it turns out it is trans fluid. When unbolt trans it fits so tight that trans fluid begins to drip out.

Used a bore scope to look could see trans fluid around the bottom of the front pump. Really nothing up by front seal. I replaced trans front seal and pump seal 7a248. It is one big heavy thing. You lift out trans parts from housing  with an engine lift and adaptors. 

What through me off was the fluid colors  and the tight fitting bell housing. The little trans fluid that leaked was then darkened by the road dust.

• Like 1

Gary I have had those torqueshift 6 leaking from the front. I have had a couple leaking from torque converter welds. I always pressure test the converters. The rest I have replaced front pump gakets and torque converter seals. None have been back leaking. I put the first torqueshift 6 on the big stand and used the engine hoist to take apart but that takes to long so I quit doing that. If I am doing just a torque converter and seal I just leave the trans on the trans jack and pull them out. They are heavy but I can get it done no problems. If I am doing the front pump seal I use the fork lift set the trans/t-case on the ground then I lift by the belhousing end picking up with fork lift and rachet strap to the hoist using blocks of wood underneath. I have done this on probably half a dozen of them. It works really good for me.

0610140920.jpg

Sorry my picture sucks (I need a new phone). I drain the trans before pulling out and when I pull the pan off to take the main control off it doesnt lose to much fluid. I put a catch pan under and actually dont end up with much of a mess.

Sorry for the long wait on update.

So I pulled trans had a good look. Well it turns out it is trans fluid. When unbolt trans it fits so tight that trans fluid begins to drip out.

Used a bore scope to look could see trans fluid around the bottom of the front pump. Really nothing up by front seal. I replaced trans front seal and pump seal 7a248. It is one big heavy thing. You lift out trans parts from housing  with an engine lift and adaptors. 

What through me off was the fluid colors  and the tight fitting bell housing. The little trans fluid that leaked was then darkened by the road dust.

I have had the very same thing on my personal truck. It looked like engine oil at first due to the road grime changing the trans fluid black. Being a relativly slow leak it was hard to track down. Finally after hosing it down with brake clean and checking it every time I drove the truck I could see it was trans fluid. Mine ended up needing a front pump