Need input.

Rate this topic

I have a hpfp to do. Can't lift the cab all the way or get the truck high enough to remove the transmission. Thinking of a partial lift to get the turbos out of the way. Any ideas? Thanks

Done it with a partial cab lift many times.  Remove the downpipe out the top or just let it drop down and rest on the floor. Then all the up-pipes will come out of the way and just use an engine hoist to remove the turbos.  You don't want to disturb the fitment of the turbos or you may end up with a leak. 

I did it once without removing the turbos but I don't recommend trying it.  You can't really see what you are doing and HPFP is a heavy sucker to try and drop in. 

With the partial lift I try to jack on the core support underneath the radiator as close to the middle as possible.  Once the cab is up I'll slide some pieces of wood in between the cab mount and body and let the weight back on the frame.  I also loosen the top radiator support bolts from the body, if you get too much twist in the body you can damage the rad.

• Like 1

After reading about partial cab lifts on here I tried and on some trucks its the way to go. Here is a picture of a truck partial cab lift no turbos on it. I pulled the turbos off put the oil feed block off in and started it up and moved it out of the bay. Then drove it back in when Turbos showed up.

0306140813.jpg

I do them in the same fashion as the right side inlet pipe.  I raise the front of the cab and support it with a 4X4 between the front body mounts and the frame.  It leaves more than enough room to remove the turbos and the fuel pump.  I use an engine hoist to remove the turbos, but not necessarily to reinstall them.

Pump is in. Still only reads 0 psi, cracked the line to the left rail and it definitely has something. Have an FRP sensor coming in Monday. Never run into this before, but will the PCM not fire the injectors if it sees 0 psi cranking?  

Pump is in. Still only reads 0 psi, cracked the line to the left rail and it definitely has something. Have an FRP sensor coming in Monday. Never run into this before, but will the PCM not fire the injectors if it sees 0 psi cranking?  

I think thats correct wont try firing until it gets min pressure. Did you try unplugging the frp sensor?

System bled. 5psi from low side. I think the Frp is stuck on zero psi for some reason and the pcm won't turn the injectors on.

Frp stuck on 0 psi would be from debris in rail. I would take a sample from fuel rail when you take valve cover off to do frp sensor.

• 2 weeks later...

New frp sensor showed 1200 psi, now has enough flow to check the rails, metal was found. Replaced the rails and injectors, made sure the rest of the system was clean. Runs like a top now. Hour meter shows 8100 hours, only 85000 KM(53000 miles) on the odometer. 

• 2 weeks later...

Partial cab lifts are the ticket. Even more so on the trucks I have here with service beds on them that making lifting the cab completly a huge pain.

I feel for you guys with rusty everything, that has to be miserable!