Removing Cylinder Heads

Rate this topic

I always assumed it was due to the tips sticking beyond face of head. If head is rested in its face as it is removed or on the bench once clear of vehicle then injector tip could be damaged. I didn't read anything past that into it.

We nearly always leave the injectors in the head when pulling them. We just make sure that we don't set it on it's face where it would sit on the injectors tips. The only issues I've heard of is guys using wire wheels to clean the heads up and nick one of the injector tips and cause issues with fuel delivery after it's put back together.

I don't do it on a 6.0 but I have in the past on a 6.4. The 6.4 stainless sealing washer can be tough to remove and replace. 

I can remember at least 3 times I found a failing copper washer/injector cup damage on a head gasket job that had no signs of combustion in the fuel (yet).  I can only imagine explaining that one if I missed it by not taking the injectors out.  On the other hand I never remove the glow plugs until the rocker boxes are off and I can tap the harnesses out from the inside. 

As for your original question, I can't see how it could possibly damage them. 

I also always remove the injectors and reseal them. I usually use the alliant power oring kit and put the upper seal in also when doing headgaskets. It takes more time but I feel better about the repair. I have had many trucks towed in the customer says just had all the updates done at the competition diesel shop. Only to find the dummy plug orings blown out. On a engine that was just apart.

As for your original question, I can't see how it could possibly damage them.

The theory is that when removing the head bolts the cylinder heads distort, stressing the injector body. I don't think I have ever seen evidence of this. I personally remove the injectors however because it's in the WSM, cleaning and inspection purposes and the fact that leaving them in leaves the susceptible to damage as already observed.I just wanted to float this question out there.

I almost always leave the injectors in, with the obvious attention paid to not touching the tips with anything. I personally have never seen an issue arise from it. I have also never seen a copper washer failure on a 6.0 that wasn't caused by a recent repair/ incorrect reassembly. If I had no reason to believe there was an injection concern present, I don't feel the need to go looking. I do however replace the dummy plugs and stc fitting on almost every one I have apart.

Yeah I do too.  I have done far more preventative STC fittings than ones that actually failed.  I had a few posts recently in the "What's in your bay?" thread where I got beat by some rowdy STCs.  I'd rather fix them before not after.

I agree that injector copper washer failure is caused by incorrect installation too. 

I always pull the injectors! Its not worth the risk of accidently hitting them on something during the removal process or contaminating them during cleaning.  Not to mention its a perfect time to inspect and reseal them.

Really it does not take that much longer and less chance of screw up resulting in a repeat repair.

I ALWAYS remove the injectors when removing cylinder heads. I've read too many "truck lacks power since head gasket replacement" threads to chance having that happen.