Oil Aeration?

Rate this topic

I have a nut buster.

2006 F350 6.0 142K miles.

The truck will lose power and sometimes die after it has been run 1/2 hour and you cruise at highway speed (65-75 mph).

When this happens the IPR valve signals maxes out (84%) and the base engine oil pressure is fluctuating 20-60 psi. ICP goes to 550-700 and it will die an be hard to restart if you let evs fall when this is happening. Other times hot restarts are quick.

Even though HP oil pressure is low when this happens, fuel pressure has been checked and is 56 psi minimum but usually 64-66 when this is happening.

The engine runs great other than this issue.

New front cover and oil pump.

New injectors 12 K back.

All oil rail seals, standpipe, STC, etc hve been replaced recently.

HPOP was replaced.

Oil cooler has been done.

HPOP feed screen clear and IPR screen clear.

No debris indicating anything in oil filter paper pleats.

IPR has been replaced.

Nothing scored or visibly wrong with oil pressure relief valve.

Nothing wrong with the valve in oil filter housing that I can see. I substituted a known good valve due to the scoring always seen on oil cooler bypass valve just in case.

I can't think of a way to detect foamy oil on this engine.

I am curious if this issue has been seen by anyone.

Any cracked oil pick up tubes or other lower end issues that anyone can think of that would cause these symptoms?

I WANT MY LIFE BACK!!!!

Thanks

First thing is does it have the correct oil in it? Second, only time I have seen oil pick up issues is when the pan gets dented. Third, have you tried a known good ICP sensor?

Rotella 15W40 is the oil used and the problem has occurred before and after an oil change.

I have not tried an ICP sensor due to the fact the base engine oil pressure getting erratic fluctuations when the injection oil pressure falls and IPR % ramps up and maxes out. I could try one and would have if it weren't for the relation of engine and inejction oil pressure.

Well, I am short of coming up with anything known from here but it does sound as though you are on the right track with the base engine oil system issue. I am also thinking that it might not necessarily be aeration as it could be something pulling down base engine oil pressure but you would think that might be more consistent and present some other evidence... thinking out loud here. :chinrub2:

It is consistent.

It will idle all day long but if driven where oil temps go to 200F or more and at engine speed of 2000 or more it will start doing this to some degree. I can drop a gear and keep revs up and keep it running. If you ease it down it will never die. If you let it drop to idle while its in the middle of the episode then it will stall and take long cranking time to get it to run again.

Possibly a restricted pick up in the pan? Kinda sounds like the 7.3L when the sock in the fuel tank would plug up. Runs fine when little demand is needed, not so when the HPOP demands more oil? 

IH has a test for this, it involves pulling the EOT/EOP out and putting a fitting in with a short hose and a shutoff valve. Run the truck until hot (if possible) and pull a sample from the hose while at WOT.  If it looks like foamy root beer it's no good, it should be solid oil.  It's more yellow in color than brown.

PS Anti foaming oil additive Fleetrite/Navistar PN CH1824392

PS When I've seen aeration, it's accompanied by an ICP that swings wildly from low to high because it can't keep up.

PPS It sounds like the pan is pushed in and starving the pickup tube. Is the pan squashed on the bottom?

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

OK this one ended up being really simple.

The owner changed the oil and put over 20 quarts in it.

I got it back to dig into the problem and was on my way to pulling oil pan. I was catching the oil in 4 quart Rotella jugs and when I filled up 4 of them I was getting suspicious. The 5th one filled was confrmation and then there was the most of a another quart in a 6th jug.

I will say that when it gets up on the wire it is hard to read just how far up on the wire it is.

He said he put oil in it and then got a cell call and then put in some more and got called to a fire (vol fireman) and then a couple days later finished putting oil in it.

The aeration symptoms are exactly the same as for a sticking IPR. ICP falls, IPR ramps up and it runs like poop.

(I checked the oil via dipstick and I didn't catch it.)

The long time involved here is due to the fact that this is a farm fuel/tool truck. Rarely goes down the road and the problem, just as when it had a failed IPR, wouldn't occur unless they drove it a while. USe on the place never caused a problem and they never got it too me so I could work through the issue.

• Like 1

Normally, they have a pretty wild shake at idle when they have too much oil in the sump.  At least that's what I've noticed.

Yup. I once put ~7 liters of 5w20 into a 6.8 6006 assy which I later found out came shipped with oil in it. I spent more time that I care to admit chasing that particular rough idle.

This is why I ALWAYS check with the dipstick to see if there is in fact any engine oil in any new long block I install. I never trust what the tag says. FWIW, I just installed a long block 1.6 into a Fusion two weeks ago that came with a new oil filter but no engine oil in the crankcase.

En ex-coworker did this on a 5.4L he installed. Went nuts for about an hour trying to figure it out. Gave up and went home for the night. Took me 5 minutes to discover the mishap and adjust the oil level. I did not tell him how I fixed it for a day or so just to torture him. Same guy replaced a clutch and "forgot" to remove the wooden spacer blocks and could not figure out why he had no clutch pedal. I tortured him with that one also. :evil: