Caution on 2015 turbos

Rate this topic

I just got my first updated turbo for that p259f code and found out there are some more parts you will need to get. First off you will need the gasket and bolts that goes in between the turbo and the pedestal as the new turbo does not come as one, O-rings and bolts for the oil feed and coolant lines and you will need a new coolant line as they have re located how it bolts down on the turbo. Just got caught off guard as all the other turbos for 6.7 have been drop in and go.  This one will have to get pushed out side as that coolant line is not stocked in Canada. The 2015 upper intake is a bit more of a pain in the ass and the v-band clamps are harder to get at IMO.

IMG_3655.JPG

Steve, does the parts listing give any mention of needing additional parts? Has anyone checked PTS for any messages? This stuff is usually documented somewhere. Thanks for the heads up though. Will look into it when I get a chance.

Edit isn't working so....By chance can the bolt flange be rotated? Parts shows no indications of any parts changes or the requirement to order additional parts for an updated turbo.

Forget notifications and listings. Again I find myself asking WHY Ford doesn't simply include the parts required to install the turbo in the box WITH the turbo.

All that aside, thank you for posting this Steve. :thumbup:

No message about the coolant line, but the part number has been updated. It doesn't look like the flange can rotate I tried moving it with a little bit of force and it didn't budge.

so happy I looked on here.....I have one to replace along with an engine in a remote spot up north... I will get that coolant line ordered before I have to go back up... thanks for the input

It is a Fomoco Diesel Core Value now.  Part of the mission statement. I'm hoping they rewrite the mission statement and make radiators last longer than brake pads.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Could someone please clarify this for me?I have a 2015 F-350 cab and chassis here with a P257F like the TSB outlines(Ran oasis and the TSB applies). It appears to have the correct turbo for a cab and chassis truck. The part number the catalog lists is the BC3Z-6K682-B turbo, the TSB turbo is totally different.Are they having us actually change the style of turbo on these trucks or am I totally mistaken?

edit - well I feel like an idiot.  If I could actually read I would have known that the TSB only applies to pickup trucks. 

Also this code only applies to pickups. Hotline tipped me off to that along with the p041B I got on the following road test.

This 15 cab and chassis I had did infact have a pickup calibration in it from the factory. Put the right cal in it and all is well. They're surely going to be complaining of a lack of power now. This thing hauled ass the first time I drove it.

• 1 month later...

Anybody else doing any 15 model turbos? Been on the discussion boards and a lot of guys are complaining about these. Several guys even say they are pulling cabs to do them. I haven't done any personally, but I have no issues doing the 11-14 models. A air hammer and long punch works great through the fender well.

I did one and they are a bitch.You have to pull the down pipe out of the cobra head (the elbow that bolts to the turbo) to get access to the bolt that goes in the block to support the head. I wrote the hotline and asked if I needed to pull the cab and they said the pipe should come right out. I finally got it apart with a lot of hammering but they are no fun. It's also harder to get to the intake manifold bolts.

• 1 month later...

Doing my first one now. First thing to note: remove the fuel filter and holder, remove the EPB sensor tube, rotate the upper intake clockwise until it clears the vapor seperator and it will come out fairly easy.

Second thing: Loosen the Torca clamp and soak it down with penetrating fluid from the top, let it sit for 10-15 and mine slid right out. Didn't even have to remove the inner fender either. Was able to get to Cobra head bracket bolt from under the truck.

Third thing: other than the slight weight increase, this was easier to remove than previous models.

• 7 months later...