6.0 econoline harness chaffe

Rate this topic

Well after a long time and a lot of head scratching I got this one figured out. It got worse and they finally decided they wanted it looked into more. I used signal generator on ids to watch actual icp and pcm interpretation. pulled rh valve cover. New check valve is broken. Not so new anymore I think it's been 2 years since I had put in.

Good catch.

I use the ids daily, the ids oscilliscope sometimes, but have never used the signal generator.

Maybe you can explain more on the signal generator diagnosis please. What did you simulate and what did you watch. Thanks

I had one probably 3-4 years ago that had a check valve issue and similar ICPV pattern. Also had one that separated like your picture, don't think it had any other complaint other than a misfire from a bad injector if I remember right.

I have an ambulance that after replacing the injectors I have a cut out feeling made recordings see my icp drops when concern occurs. I remember seeing a 6.0 common chaffe picture on pts before but cant find now. I have wiggle tested and moved harness in stall and cant make act up replaced the icp and pigtail still acts up. Does anyone have common chaffe suggestion for me to look at?

I am assuming you put dummy plugs in it along with new standpipes at that time?

Something else to consider. The passenger side standpipe is very tight on both F-Series and especially E-Series applications to remove and install. I know re-installing that standpipe is a definite mandate of installing both pieces separately with lots of finesse which makes me wonder if the breakage could be self-induced as well.

Something else to consider. The passenger side standpipe is very tight on both F-Series and especially E-Series applications to remove and install. I know re-installing that standpipe is a definite mandate of installing both pieces separately with lots of finesse which makes me wonder if the breakage could be self-induced as well.

I don't know if that is what's causing this issue. The top is much easier to install than the bottom and the top is what is breaking.

I was not sure that the icp was really fluctuating like ids showed. I had done the alt ripple test on both alt and they passed. I still had the feeling could possibly be picking up voltage and not really icp fluctuating. I used the old 7.3 icp sensor test harness (D94T-50-A) this allowed me to see icp voltage live from the sgm and watch pid at same time. As you see this helped me prove icp was actually acting up and I needed to go back under valve covers. On the signal generator monitor you can put a set voltage in or you can just monitor. I used the monitor feature and watched the icp voltage and icp from pcm. I had used the sgm to load test wires before and thought why not try. I think the data rate of sgm is different then pcm.

sgm.jpg

• Like 1

There is a TSB for problems with Econoline standpipes. Please know that I wasn't implying that they were damaged on reassembly because they break all by themselves according to the TSB. I was just thinking about (from a reverse engineering stand point) that the problem occurred after the repair. It helps me try and resolve future issues such as this, esp when you have the chance to work backwards from the problem.

Great find   :thumbup:

I had one that was broken like that a couple of years ago. It came in for a runs rough, I pinpointed the injector and pulled it apart. it looked like someone try to force it back together. When the truck originally came in it had a slightly longer than usual crank. Replaced the injector and pipe and cranking time was normal again.

There is a TSB for problems with Econoline standpipes. Please know that I wasn't implying that they were damaged on reassembly because they break all by themselves according to the TSB. I was just thinking about (from a reverse engineering stand point) that the problem occurred after the repair. It helps me try and resolve future issues such as this, esp when you have the chance to work backwards from the problem.

Great find :thumbup:

TSB number?