6.0 econoline harness chaffe

Rate this topic

I have an ambulance that after replacing the injectors I have a cut out feeling made recordings see my icp drops when concern occurs. I remember seeing a 6.0 common chaffe picture on pts before but cant find now. I have wiggle tested and moved harness in stall and cant make act up replaced the icp and pigtail still acts up. Does anyone have common chaffe suggestion for me to look at?

Those harnesses in them things are pretty tender. I have replaced quite a few for all sorts of drive-a-bility issues with good success. It would be nice to find an actual rub through or fault in the harness instead of replacing the whole thing, but that may be the best option in the long run.

That air inlet and crankcase breather sure does crush quite a bit of wiring for both the transmission and engine harnesses. Also check the area above the power steering pump pulley. And yes, I stopped looking a long time ago. Even if the price of the harness is astronomical it's still cheaper than your time put into chasing it.

Had one that was on the corner of the intake manifold near the alt bracket.  That was close though and easily duplicated

Don't rule out the actual ICP sensor too, I see more of them bad on E-series than F's

Here is the ICP chafe I had on a bus, I believe it was the brown wire

image.jpg

Here is the smashed harness underneath the turbo inlet duct that Mike mentioned.  It lays on that bolt head and slowly sinks its way down on.  I add extra tape here anytime I'm in the area.

wire chafe.jpg

Thanks for the replies. I had put a icp sensor and pigtail in it still acts up overlayed the signal wire still acting up. Getting hounded they need it back so I said drive it and decide if you want to take it. Its not right but does run. The driver came over and I went for a ride with him and he says its always done that and they took it back I got a price on a harness told service advisor and manager no ideal how much time but thats what it needs and driver admited it was happening before I touched it.

Thanks for the replies. I had put a icp sensor and pigtail in it still acts up overlayed the signal wire still acting up.

Just wondering, when you overlayed the wire, did you cut the old wire out of the circuit?

I did cut the icp signal wire at pcm and at pigtail. On the vref wire overlay I added in to the circuit so the problem wire is still there causing issues I presume. The harness is here now and so is the ambulance. Let the fun begin.

Ok, lets backup this e450 ambulance came in smoking, fuel knocking. The smell of the smoke I was sure it was a stuck open inj or cracked inj tip. I brought up power balance and confirmed I had a overcontributing cyl. I ran self tests only got p0263 cyl 1 contribution.

overfuel.jpg

I pulled dog house checked fuel pressure only had 30 psi. I sold all 8 inj ectors, dummy plugs, stand pipes, fuel pressure regulator and frame rail pump. Installed all changed oil bleed the air from heads started great let run in stall and cleaned up.

On test drive I noticed a hesitation/stumble and seen the icp fluctuate on ids. I didnt think to much of it being all had just been apart figured most likely air. I pulled back in shop checked the fluids. I went on another test drive and it did it again. Here is a screen shot. 

icp.jpg

I told my manager I had an issue and we test drove again. I then ordered a icp sensor and pigtail (pathetic we don't have 6.0 parts in stock anymore) I installed the icp and pigtail. On test drive it still acted up. This is when I asked the question about the harness chaffing.  I then overlayed the icp signal wire from icp sensor to pcm. concern still present. I tried wiggling the harness and pushing down couldnt get to act up in stall but can get to act up on road test. I tried finding the splice for vref to icp sensor unable to locate splice I added a wire to vref. No difference this is when they needed ambulance back. It was then decided to order a  harness. I have installed the harness and it still acts up. It runs good 99% of the time I have looked at many other pids and the icp sensor pid is the only one I see funny at the time of concern. It appears Ipr acts up in responce to icp.

Any suggestions? Its a 2009 has 61xxx miles on it. The 1 dtc on that screen shot is p1000. P1000 has since cleared. I have ran koeo, koer koeo inj self tests all pass. It has over 150 miles since injectors where installed, so I dont believe air in high pressure.

STC fitting leaking(not sure right now date/serial number for update if it could have old style still?) Possibly nick an injector top o-ring on assembly? I'd say get your EOT as hot as possible again and air test it right away just to confirm no leaks again just to cover your bases from scratch. Never hurts to take a step back and recheck the basics.

I would slam an IPR at it and retest. At least it's something quick and easy on an E-Series. Have you ever seen it default to 870psi and 30% duty cycle at idle accompanied by a rough idle?

No I never had it go to 870psi and 30%. I was also thinking about putting in my test ipr and seeing what it did.

Well the ambulance left today. They don't want me to go any further with it right now. The driver says he doesn't notice it and isn't scared to drive it.

• 1 year later...

Well after a long time and a lot of head scratching I got this one figured out. It got worse and they finally decided they wanted it looked into more. I used signal generator on ids to watch actual icp and pcm interpretation. pulled rh valve cover. New check valve is broken. Not so new anymore I think it's been 2 years since I had put in.

KIMG0602.jpg

KIMG0678.jpg

KIMG0721.jpg

• Like 2

You know, this actually looks pretty familiar. It is within the last couple of years, my parts manager came and asked me if I ever saw exactly what you have in your last picture before. A little surprised, I answered NO. Now after seeing this post is making me wonder if there were a batch of standpipe kits sold.