p012f after a new cooler installed

Rate this topic

07 f-550, came to me on the hook for a no icp issue.  Found failed ipr valve, screen loaded with debris.  This engine was hammered - right bank of pistons had been overheated, someone put new a t stat and water pump in this.  I sell him a rebuild, bored the block, redid the heads, new ford oil cooler, found some stop leak in the radiator so I sent that out and had it boiled and flow tested.  Take it for a ride and I can see the oil temp gets to 220 driving around town, 250 when running the hills on the highway. - no lights no codes.  Pull over on the highway and the oil temp comes down to 215ish within a few minutes...at this point I felt that the truck is big and heavy, the cooler cooled the oil down relativly quick whithout a load..   I let the customer take it, he calls me, wrench light is on.  I go to his location, p012f stored.  He stated that after running his pto driven air compressor (this is a tire truck) for a half hour the light came on.  Looking for some suggestions.  Have we seen any garbage oil coolers from Ford?  What are the thresholds that set this fault.  This block was tanked and cleaned as was the radiator prior to my reassembly.  I noticed the temps high within 25mins of the first roadtest. 

Not following you?  Heater core is not plumbed in series with the oil cooler.  I thought of residual stop leak in the heater core, but seeing the temps increase quickly shortly into the first road test had me thinking that the cooler could not possibly plug that quick. 

This truck has an egr delete installed.  Makes me wonder if the silicone hose could have a flapper from possible getting cut when reinstalled....

That code sets from eot/ect variation of 20-30 degrees depends on load. Was the eot sensor put in solvent when cooler top was cleaned. If you end up taking apart You can pull a vacuum on the oil cooler to see if it is restricted. Way back when the tsb for egr cooler had you try pulling vacuum on oil cooler if it pulled vacuum then it got replaced. Does the egr delete use the blue quick connect hose. I have heard of restrictions in the blue hose and it usually was a spacer for the old style turbos. But that kit that came with those spacers hasn't been available for some time now.