3.2L and IDS

Rate this topic

Working on a 2015 Transit diesel, check engine light on and P054E. Pinpoint tests M - 11 and then 13 have me looking at FRP for bias and then control on PPT M13. Interactive diagnostics wont allow control of RPM and FRP. Tried using IDS and PID monitor - wont allow control of the PIDS. I press the button and an exclamation point appears next to the PID. Trying to figure ut why this is but I needed to find a workaround. Tried using the high pressure fuel system test - wont run. Using IDS 96.1  Anyone experience this? Also waiting for Hot-Line response.

I do believe I tried clearing the code and attempting again. Still no joy.

Also, the code takes you to a pinpoint test that tests the FRP and the high pressure fuel system. Hot-Line informs me that its most likely an intake leak after the throttle control or the throttle control. So tell me why the pinpoint tests never lead you to testing for that?

Unfortunately the owner had to leave so I never got to finish diagnosing it. I am thinking it will be back. I told them to DROP IT OFF next time. 

Oh man I hate those waiter diesel diag customers. Usually they show up without an appointment too.

Those, should not have made it past the service advisor and cashier if they were doing their job. If I'm standing around with my hands in my pocket, that's another story.

Those should not have made it past the service advisor and cashier if they were doing their job. 

Ditto.  In 25 years I never did a performance diag as a wait. An LOF, yes, headlight bulb, yes, anything that requires a scan tool, no f'ing way. If you get lucky and find it in 20 minutes the cust will scream if you bill him the normal 1-2 hours for a diag.

:grin:

If you get lucky and find it in 20 minutes the cust will scream if you bill him the normal 1-2 hours for a diag.

In those situations, I ask my two veteran service advisors "Is the car safe to bring out front?" to avoid those types of unpleasant situations throwing them under the bus having to explain to the customer this thing called "flat rate".

• 4 weeks later...

I never used to sell stuff as hourly when I was hurt and a writer.

It's "119.95 for that service sir" and leave it at that. Explain no further.

I never booked anything guys could make flat rate time on as a waiting customer, especially since there was great big windows into the shop. Me and another tech smashed balljoints in an Econoline on the alignment rack one friday and checked and set the toe in something like 20 minutes.

Advisor comes out and says put it back up and take the wheels off, put them on monday morning. customer is bringing his other car in tomorow for a LOF, and he looks out the window and sees the truck done he's gonna wonder why the bill says 5.1 hours or whatever it was. LOL. Apparently he'd dropped it off at 4:30 and we were outside smoking at 10 to 5.