2.5 engine noise

Rate this topic

tonybullitt

Technician: tony ballstadt VIN: 3FAHP0JAXCR434992

P&A Code: 03360 R. O. Number: 37594

Vehicle: FUSION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Description of Vehicle Concern:

knocking type noise from engine

Please list any diagnostics already performed:

Verified concern has a upper engine knocking noise heard from middle of engine between cyl2 and cyl3 in head gasket area. Have removed belt noise still there. Checked oil pressure is good 35 psi at 2000 rpm. Canceling cyls 1 at a time does not change the noise. Removed the valve cover and performed the valve train inspection all good. no issue seen with timing chain sprockets or phaser when valve cover off.

Additional Comments

Comment From: Ford Comment Date: Jul 23 2015 10:15:05

Tony, there have been some noise concerns due to a cracked flex plate, see SSM 44696. This noise is commonly heard at the bell-housing. If not flex plate related and all other possible causes have been eliminated the cylinder head will need to be removed to be able to verify cracks in the block. The cracks are normally found between cylinders as you indicated on the other block you checked. If cracks are verified the short block should be replaced.

Its a 2012 fusion. I have heard other cars with the noise before but had never chased it. This customer was told by other ford dealers in area normal noise. The first time we looked at it we said the same. Then I had seen a post on ford message boards about cracked blocks causing noise. I google it and found a video of a guy claiming to be a ford tech he had a car running with the exact noise and said its from a cracked block. The next day customer sent my manager a video of there car running really loud compared to when it had been in. My manager got the car from the customer and said not sure how long but we will figure it out.

Do you have a video of this noise? What was the mileage on this vehicle? My understanding is the 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5 engines are all identical with varying bore/stroke dimensions. If I were to surmise on a possible cause, perhaps on the 2.5 clearance between cylinders could be an issue (due to being the largest bore version of the three engines)?

GOOD TO KNOW!!! The vehicle used in the video is an Escape I see. I do recall replacing a couple of 2.5 Escape engines making that exact noise, now that I think of it.

I had a 1.6L with spark knock on on a very loaded accel(up  a steep hill in OD). Ended up needing an engine due to low compression on cylinder 1, same cylinder that showed spark knock. Had engineer from 1.6l design team contacting me asking if the block was cracked between cylinders, but didn't see anything. Sounds like we might have another 3v 5.4l on our hands, just on a much larger scale. :hitfan:

Tony was yours useing coolant? So do you think this would show up by closing the valves in both cylinders then adding air or air+smoke and see if it shows up in the paired cylinder?

• 3 months later...