Aftertreatment Theft

Rate this topic

I have heard of this happening but never saw it until now. A 2013 F550 with the entire aftertreatment system cut out. It was stole over the weekend and Monday morning it would not start so it was towed in. Apparently nobody noticed. For some reason the engine started for the tow truck driver and it was loud... they still could not figure it out. Really?

At least the cuts were made on the assembly inlet and outlet leaving the down pipe and the tailpipe un damaged. But it needs and exhaust pressure sensor, all four EGTs, DEF injector and pressure line and a few harness pigtails. Around $5K parts and labor and all for what? Couple hundred bucks from the scrap yard? Obviously the thieves had no intention of using the parts. 

Someone hit a Ford dealer about 20 miles away. Took cats and dpf's out of a whole line of trucks. Last year there was a bunch of cat convertors getting cut off of e series and superduty gas engines in the town I work in and one of the neighboring towns. And as far as I know they didn't damage any of the adjacent pipes.

I hope they call the FBI and the EPA. Removing exhaust emissions equipment is punishable by some HEFTY fines. The perps are more likely to be put away for lack of ability to pay fines than for loss of property.

Our problem is owners taking the aftertreatment off, and then wanting full trade in value on trade. After getting burned a couple times on dodges, which are very expensive, they started looking a little closer. There is a guy from Colorado that comes up and pays good money for the removed systems.

Its has happened a couple times with out fleet too. Its my understanding  some of these are getting scrapped but most are being sold complete.

Here locally you have to provide proof of vehicle ownership if trying to scrap a converter of any type

I think they're getting to that point here too.  The police that responded to the last call seemed to be more concerned with the fact that somebody at a metal recycler is accepting these parts than he was with the thefts.  The ones being taken here are being cut off in a way that they can't be reused.