GM TPMS Sensor Reset

Rate this topic

ktmlew

Working on Chevy pickups and vans. Had a van today that indicated both rear tires were low, blinking light. Corrected air pressures and attempted to relearn the system. Wouldn't learn the LF which is the first one in the system. OK...sensor must be bad? Replaced sensor with GM part. Still no joy. I'm cornfused? Need to bone up on GM TPMS crap.

Most of fleet do NOT have a key FOB. Must use the buttons on dash. What am I missing. Had another identical van that i replaced both rear tires/wheel assemblies. Keep some mounted and ready to go. Programmed right up, actually horn beeped while i was letting air out. Normally let air out and have to wait 15-20 seconds before it rolls over to next wheel. This one seemed to read as soon as it saw 5lbs of change. Just like they SAY it's supposed to.

Call your dealer and see what their price is on one of these.  EL-50448.  It will activate all GM sensors except the ones that only require a magnet.  Pretty sure you wont see any of those.  Really cheap and durable.  Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are not provided with a fob, there may not be a dash selection to learn tire positions and a more expensive tool, or a scan tool with that capability will be needed.  Might find out where they keep the fobs.  Sounds like all of your fleet would go into learn mode with both lock and unlock held until the chirp, and this tool will learn them fast.

• Like 1

Call your dealer and see what their price is on one of these.  EL-50448.  It will activate all GM sensors except the ones that only require a magnet.  Pretty sure you wont see any of those.  Really cheap and durable.  Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you are not provided with a fob, there may not be a dash selection to learn tire positions and a more expensive tool, or a scan tool with that capability will be needed.  Might find out where they keep the fobs.  Sounds like all of your fleet would go into learn mode with both lock and unlock held until the chirp, and this tool will learn them fast.

We have a Tech 2 but i haven't used it yet. How/when does it need/get updated? The previous tech used his Modis for diag work. 

That tool is available on Amazon for about $75.00.

Drove a "basic" featured truck today. You access the TPMS system by simply scrolling with the tripmeter button to TPMS relearn, then hold the button down until the horn honks twice. Then let the air out, LF, RF, RR, LR...should get 2 horn beeps at end. Turn key off and set air pressure. I did it and it went fairly quickly but "check LF air pressure" was still up. No warning light. Drove truck and warning message eventually went away. Weird shit. I'll buy that tool if they balk at all. It will save sooooo much time it's worth it.

I really appreciate all the help you guys are giving me. Been doing mostly equipment/heavy trucks the last several years. Got waaaay behind on some of these simple details.

Next is the throttle body issues...

If you have a hunter alignment machine they have procedures for each vehicle listed in there. I think the gm ones are the ones that have you release air from the tires after you enter the training mode.

No alignment machine. i found the procedure but it just does't work all the time. Frustrating trying to decide/know when a sensor is actually bad. The tool recommended above is the answer.

I bought an Autel TPMS tool, does most all makes, works great on GM, Ford, Honda, etc... Was $150 when I bought it, Free yearly updates via web.

It will activate and id all sensors I've run across.  A necessity for stupid Chrysler products that need you to manually type in EVERY sensor ID to replace just one.

www.autel.us/Products/ts401.htm

If you have a hunter alignment machine they have procedures for each vehicle listed in there. I think the gm ones are the ones that have you release air from the tires after you enter the training mode.

No alignment machine. i found the procedure but it just does't work all the time. Frustrating trying to decide/know when a sensor is actually bad. The tool recommended above is the answer.
I'm not gonna disagree with that. But it is rather nice to have the tpms info that readily avalible for all kinds of vehicles. Does that pinger do more than gm's?

I bought an Autel TPMS tool, does most all makes, works great on GM, Ford, Honda, etc... Was $150 when I bought it, Free yearly updates via web.

It will activate and id all sensors I've run across.  A necessity for stupid Chrysler products that need you to manually type in EVERY sensor ID to replace just one.

www.autel.us/Products/ts401.htm

$107.99 Amazon Prime.

I am a former GM tech, so any questions about GM products let me know.

as far as GM tpms it's pretty much the same as any other brand. you will have the best luck with a tpms tool. you can purchase the EL-50448 and it works great, bought one myself. only problem is it will not display any info. as stated the autel is a good universal tool. once you have activated the tpms relearn procedure using either the key fob, dic in the cluster or the scan tool; you go LF, RF, RR, LF. will honk as each one registers properly. if one doesn't honk, it usually means a failed sensor. using a universal tool such as the autel will allow you to see if it will produce an id or not. one thing I find on GM tpms is there are extremely sensitive to any radio frequency in the shop. when I was a dealer tech I would do all my relearns outside. had very good success doing them this way. any other questions let me know

I am a former GM tech, so any questions about GM products let me know.

as far as GM tpms it's pretty much the same as any other brand. you will have the best luck with a tpms tool. you can purchase the EL-50448 and it works great, bought one myself. only problem is it will not display any info. as stated the autel is a good universal tool. once you have activated the tpms relearn procedure using either the key fob, dic in the cluster or the scan tool; you go LF, RF, RR, LF. will honk as each one registers properly. if one doesn't honk, it usually means a failed sensor. using a universal tool such as the autel will allow you to see if it will produce an id or not. one thing I find on GM tpms is there are extremely sensitive to any radio frequency in the shop. when I was a dealer tech I would do all my relearns outside. had very good success doing them this way. any other questions let me know

Thank you berry, berry much. I'll go for the Autel.

OK! Next problem...07 Silverado LT 4.3 2-WD. P2138. Apparently they have APP sensor issues along with wiring concerns. Truck has 205K miles, so I assume out of extended warranty for pedal assembly. Drove truck 5 times yesterday...no issues. Guy shows up to go home and didn't make it 25 feet. Saved freeze frame. Only thing i see out of range was load @100%. Connected Tech 2. It ain't broke right now. Tried wiggling wiring. No problem at this time. Have a call into local dealer to ask about pedal assembly. Waiting on return call. Planning on replacing pedal assembly and wiring pigtail. Good gamble? Advance has the pedal but no wiring pigtail.

when you say 2007 I'm assuming it's a new body style truck then? yes it would be off warranty. GM is terrible for terminal micro fretting. any drive by wire failure if it's throttle body of app sensor related dtc's are in my opinion the hardest GM dtc to repair. you can never duplicate it, as you've seen now. probably a good guess on the app sensor. I would take a look at connectors x109 and x205 if the vehicle comes back

when you say 2007 I'm assuming it's a new body style truck then? yes it would be off warranty. GM is terrible for terminal micro fretting. any drive by wire failure if it's throttle body of app sensor related dtc's are in my opinion the hardest GM dtc to repair. you can never duplicate it, as you've seen now. probably a good guess on the app sensor. I would take a look at connectors x109 and x205 if the vehicle comes back

Yes, new body style. Working for a fleet so it will definitely "be back". Thanks again for the support. Have you tried watching signal on a scope for these concerns while very lightly wiggling connectors? Plan to get sub for Identifix in next couple of weeks. My experience last couple years is they have really stepped it up a notch. Lots of good info.

yes I have scoped these issues in the past. I've had some luck. sometimes you will see a lot of hash on the signals. since terminal issue were so common I own quite a few sets of the factory terminal test kits. I will check terminal tension on all the terminals of the affected component's connector and if they are all good, GM has a special lube for terminal issues. I'll get the part number later. anyways, I'd cycle the connector a few times then apply the lube lightly. re-scope by back probing and in almost all the cases, the hash was gone. fixed quite a few that way

Identifix is pretty good now. I see a lot of other makes and models so I use their info system a lot. not a big fan of the silver bullet side though.