4.3 GM Plastic Timing Cover-Use OEM!!!

Rate this topic

ktmlew

Made the mistake of using a Dorman Product aftermarket cover. Leaked at pan to cover at one corner. Pulled pan again today and cleaned everything spick & span, made sure corners were better sealed with silicone. I didn't run the silicone far enough and it leaked bad. OK. Re-do and the frigging COVERS injected silicone bead is leaking. WTF?

The OE cover used to be nearly $150.00. Our price is now $47 bucks. Shit. Should have called dealer and checked. The pan comes off in less than 1/2 hour but draining coolant to remove WP is always a mess. I HATE comebacks. This is round three on this truck. I am working hourly, so doesn't hurt my wallet but I just hate when I make a mistake.

I really dislike Dorman and have been down that road several times with their stuff. The more OE parts I use, the better my life is, with very few exceptions. 

Sorry for your luck.......

:grin:

Luck was not a factor...it was my choice that was faulty! :haha2:

This would be far from the first faulty Dorman. Ford 4.6L intake manifolds and 6.0L diesel oil coolers are also up there on the DO NOT USE list. I'm sure there must be many more parts I'm not aware of. Really makes me wonder how they stay in business.

Funny thing is that a lot of oe parts are very comparable to aftermarket in price. Especially if you get a dealer fleet discount from the dealer. I am amazed time and time again how many Napa parts are more expensive. Moog problem solver front end parts for my super duty were more than oem, steering gear for an older f350 more ezpensive. Even a window regulator was more expensive the other day.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got back to this one. Re-did with OE timing cover. Leaked again...just wasn't getting silicone in right spot at corners of timing cover to pan junction. Finally seem to have it fixed.