Broken Extension Housings

Rate this topic

I have a mystery to solve on a 2005 F250 4X4 with a reman Torqshift in it. The extension housing is broken and the transfer case slid back on the output shaft. It looks like it broke around the transfer case butts up to it. I crawled underneath and took a quick look and did not notice any damage that would indicate abuse. The driveshafts and u-joints appear good from what I can see and feel. I am leaning toward loose/missing transfer case bolts... But what caught my eye was the rear driveshaft is about 30 degrees out of phase.

What have any of you seen cause this?

Stuck/worn CV joint assembly on the front driveshaft, or a tight ujoint on rear shaft. The two times I have seen it have found a bad joint or the CV with it. The rear shaft out of phase may have also contributed to the failure, but I have accidentally done that to my own truck and didnt catch it for nearly a year and no damage was ever done. My oops was closer to 90 out, one of those cases i was in a rush(and of course its worse working on my own stuff for me) and just threw it in.

I have seen a ton of gm extension housings broken along with Allison c5 clutch housings, and 6 speed transmission cases.  Every one had a driveline vibration.  I had a bell housing and flywheel housing let go on 1 Allison from a driveline as well.  I have a few Fords roll in with the transfer case in multiple pieces and hanging from a front driveline vibration.  We have a fleet that was instructed to keep the front hubs locked all the time and the doubal cardan can't handle hours at 80 mph.

Well it is apart  now and in checking everything including fasteners, 4 of the 6 transfer case bolts are loose, the transfer case input hub has so much rust in it my guess is they had to draw that thing on with the bolts. Needs an output shaft, extension housing, transfer case and repairs to the rear driveshaft (1 u-joint and correct the phasing)

• 2 weeks later...

We had another one roll in this week. This time the extension housing to trans case bolts SNAPPED.  Caused by the rear driveshaft forward flange being loose. Took out the tail shaft and the inside of the forward clutch hub. Surprisingly little damage considering.