What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

You should know him , it's Robby. He bought a bunch of factory scan tools and went out on his own doing mobile diagnosis and programming. Our dealership has used him 2-3 times a week since he went out on his own. And when the fleet manager at the ambulance company found out, he called him in to diag this one and have us install the parts.

Yeah I know.. that's why I made those smart remarks. I figured since vehicles don't usually give him a rough time I might as well. :)

I also sent him a txt about how scary it was...

Still working on that 02 C3500 dump on and off when I get time. The ABS false activation was caused by rust jacking under the front wheel speed sensor mounting location on the hubs. I wound up replacing the RF sensor and cleaning the LF which totally took care of the concern.

Today I was screwing around with the tail lights. As I found out GM uses a rear junction block to control the lights. Brake and Turn are on separate circuits so a standard 3 wire truck light will not work. After hours of searching around on the internet I came up with a Rubbolite 8002 which must have been what it came with originally from the upfitter. Had the customer order some and they came in yesterday. The right light is plug and play but the left is pinned differently. To use a right light on the left you have to de-pin the connector and move some circuits around which was not an issue.

The right rear light bracket was bent to hell.  That's the closest I could get it to being straight.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Got and f550 6.7 quit running, main and rod bearings, got it running and crank is moving around, oil coming out of front main seal and oil full of flake. 39k on odometer, 4200 hours. 12 e450 step van v10 engine locked up.

It's that time of year again. Getting 2-3 EGR cooler cores a week. The one currently in my bay is on replacement #2. 

Guess who's got a pretty awesome desk setup now. All second hand stuff that's fine for what I need.

Actually the tablet is our new all data scan tool that I've been left in charge of.

image.jpg

But what I'm really working on is a 6.0 ambulance with a split #3 injector nozzle and a stuck turbo and a 15 6.7 with DEF in the fuel which blew the return line apart when I took it for a test drive.

Raptor for a T/Case overhaul. The thrust bearing in the high/low planetary came apart. Had an intermittent neutral condition accompanied by the occasional grinding. Have to admit, I enjoyed driving it around the empty lot across the road from us. 

Did another 6.0 ambulance with a split injector nozzle. This time it was #1 and they were all just replaced by me in February on this particular one.

That makes 5 split nozzles in this fleet between 4 different ambulances, all ford remans, all varying mileage on the injectors. I have all of them running on new HFCMs and blue springs. None of them have ever showed signs of water in the fuel. Honesty I can't seem to make sense of it. I'm sure filter maintenance is not the best but they never get to the point of starving for fuel as far as I'm aware. Perhaps there is something going on with the fuel I'm not aware of.

2013 F-450 that dropped a valve. It's getting a long block under warranty and a radiator that's CP.

2001 F-250 getting a turbo pedestal and thermostat housing.

2006 F-550 Boom truck. Engine coming out for a reseal, coolers, studs, A/C manifold line, and A/C condenser.

2011 F-550 fire truck. Had to put an output shaft and bearings in the trans. First time I've tore a Torque Shift6 down that far. Now I understand why WSM suggests using the engine crane to remove the input shaft assembly.

2006 F-250. Used PDI truck that needs turbo cleaned, alternator, and front cover resealed. Real clean Lariat with 60k miles, they got it advertised online for $28K.

Ran into a 2015 F550 with a P2002.  Truck is bone stock, 11,000 miles.  Ran a regen to see what would happen.  Temps looked good.  Soot level dropped to 2%.  Back pressure still 6 PSI at high idle.  800+ miles average between regens, so idle time is not terribly high.  They were running 15W-40 oil in it, but I can't believe that'd cause so much trouble in so short a period of time.

3_zpslllbtbpy.png

Whats is my "bay", a break from everything and anything light duty for a while. Currently one rig in the yard for disc brakes and a lot of other stuff, Definitely a lot of stopping power of this setup. Two 42" discs, each disc has 2 calipers for a total of 8 pads for braking. One caliper is mounted on the left, the right is hanging from the crane getting ready to install it.

gallery_366_29_2144737.jpg

• Like 1

Had a 14 F-350 DRW in here today for an abs light and battery light. The battery light was alternator wiring that was easily fixed but the ABS not so much. Had no rear speed sensor signal if I was on the throttle but it came back on the decel. Damn thing had me scratching my head until I pulled the diff cover and found the left side bearing in about 4 pieces.

Fuckers declined everything said they have a guy in house that can handle rear ends. Talked to him on the phone and he said he sets up rear ends for pulling trucks all the time. Wonderful, those skills will keep this Dana 80 on the road for another 100kimage.jpg

image.jpg

Got a 14 F-250 here with the infamous P207F. Did the reprogram, cleared the idle only message and about 15 miles later it reset the code. Drove another 14 F-250 and my NOX12 readings are quite a bit lower. Frequently on the truck with the concern my NOX12 readings were higher than NOX11, I don't really see how that would be possible without a biased sensor.

Edit - got a sensor from a dealer about 40 miles away. They're on backorder stating "demand exceeds forecast". Does that mean these things are going bad a lot? Hahaha

Btw my new NOX12 reading is just about the same as the known good truck. Got about 50 miles on it an no DTCs in sight

Got a 14 F-250 here with the infamous P207F.

For F-Series Super Duty, this DTC is present for 400 days after the exhaust system fluid fault message is cleared....Yeah that code ain't going away anytime soon

Got a 14 F-250 here with the infamous P207F.

For F-Series Super Duty, this DTC is present for 400 days after the exhaust system fluid fault message is cleared....Yeah that code ain't going away anytime soon

In what module? I have played with this one numerous times and it clears immediately. The warning on the dash and engine derate on the other hand takes a little more effort to clear.

I managed to clear it twice and get it out of idle only mode twice. The first time it cleared after I did the dosing test and reprogram. Then I drove it and it reset within 15 miles and the message center said "engine idled soon". The next key off and back on the engine was idled.

After I changed the NOX12, cleared the NOX12 tables I was able to clear the code again and perform the procedure for taking it out of idle only mode.

Since then I've put 80 miles on the truck and it isn't setting any codes yet. I'm definitely shipping it today. Perhaps the 15s are different?

Hotline has told me numerous times that the key to clearing the Engine idled state is exhaust temperatures. Twice now I have had to run a forced regen to get it to clear. 

Right as soon as my EGT 14 hit 300 degrees F it came out of idle mode just like the TSB states. In the past I have used an increased VGT duty cycle to increase exhaust temps but I'm not sure if that would help or not

I'm out of diesel work too, I'm gonna take a few days next week

2013 Raptor for a new transfer case. 2013 Focus for over heating(yet to verify but there was the P0217 over temp code in memory) and a clutch shudder that was fixed with the reprogram. 

Got an 06 F-450 6.0 ZF6 that is hard to start but once it does build sufficient ICP it'll sit and idle all day. Go to accelerate down the road once you hit about 2k rpm it falls on its face, IPR ramps to 85% and it dies. It'll restart but once again has a long crank. Tried a known good ICP, IPR, hooked a gauge up to check base oil pressure and air checked it. Nothing. Pulled the oil pressure regulator out and it's not sticking. Tried a ford oil filter and cap. Even fixed 2 EBP wires rubbed through thinking they could have been shorting VREF. That wasnt it either. The driver of the truck said all he did was pull out hard from a stop and that's when it fell on its face and died.

I really want to say it's a high pressure oil pump but I can't say I've ever seen an 05+ pump fail.