What's In Your Bay - Part VI

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Yet another 6.7L EGR cooler core. 7.3L right bank glow plug, EBP sensor and broken tube. The used 6L I put in last month came back on the hook.

Got my not start 6L running, something went through the oil pump and from the looks of the marks, my money is on a lifter needle bearing. This engine had some work done to it before we got from the wreckers. They must not have gotten all the pieces out guess. Swapped out the good front cover and oil pump from the engine I took out of the truck and got my oil pressure and HPOP pressure back. Before they towed it here they were messing around with the FICM relay and put in the wrong one. For some reason I had no fused relay power at the FICM, wiggle the relay and it would come back and promptly drop off to zero volts again. Put in the correct relay and she fired right up. BUT...the left turbo inlet pipe (which was re-used from their old engine because of the EGR delete) has developed a crack in the expansion joint, which was discover after getting it all back together. Our luck with used engine installs has finally run out. 

Thankfully the wrecker covered the parts and labor to replace the front cover.

2013 EGR valve(p2073) and a primary radiator. 

2015 Crankcase seperator for faulty sensor.

2011 with a locked up engine getting a retail long block. 

I got a 14 Police interceptor utility with torque convertor clutch codes that only set when the guy tries to persue someone at over 100 mph. Right now the trans is laying on the bench in pieces waiting for a new convertor support and convertor. And of course now I'm dealing with the escalated handling team at hotline. :chinrub2:

I also got an 08 F-350 chassis cab with a 6.4 that sets a p0088 if and when it wants. It's got about 200k on a used motor in it. I'm thinking it needs a high pressure pump for a sticking control valve.

There is a bunch of scaffolding and carpenter tools in my bay, well, my new bay. They are adding a bay onto our 100+ year old 4 bay shop. The new bay is mine. 34' x 24' and a new 16k 2 post.

• 2 weeks later...

ACM in an '11 F-150...I put the replacement ACM in by doing a PMI then I checked and see if there's any updated calibrations and there was but when I tried to update it it said that the part number is not recognized. What I had to do was reinstall the bad ACM, update the calibration then redo the PMI, re-install the repaired ACM which loaded the calibration files back into it after that I checked and there was no updates.

2011 F550 Cab and Chassis.  200k Miles.  Originally a P207F.  Shop performed a chemical EGR flush.  It definitely cleaned the EGR system.  It was impressively clean.  After the flush the truck had no boost.  They found a stuck VGT on the turbo and replaced it.  Still had no boost, but now had MAF codes.  All that carbon had to go someplace.  This is the face of the DOC.  

BK8K0062_zpsbh0g89p7.jpg

BK8K0054_zpsrp6nqxbv.jpg

Joe

They are using the new Gulf system.  The chemical is aqueous NaOH (Sodium Hydroxide).  They did it at high idle, while cycling the EGR valve.  Dunno on the lower intake.  I am totally impressed at how well it dissolves carbon.  all that crud has to go somewhere though.  I'm sure if they unbolted the pipe before it goes into the DOC while they did the cleaning it wouldn't face plug the DOC, but that's not the easiest thing to do on every truck.    On the other hand, it's easier than other methods of decarboning the EGR circuit.

Joe

Thanks for the info.

I am told that Sodium Hydroxide/Lye/Caustic Soda/Oven Cleaner/Grill Cleaner does wonders on cleaning carbon but I am too nervous to use it because it will burn your skin and I would want a chemist to tell me what it turns into during and after combustion. I think @ minimum water should be injected somewhere in the process but....?

You happen to know what chemical they used, did they do it @ idle, and was the lower intake also clean?

Do you know if there is an easy way to access the egr port in the lower intake?  Can it be reached with a bore scope?  This fleet has a bunch of these trucks.  I'm sure if I left them with a bore scope they would take some before/after shots.

- 2013 F150 3.5 for a water pump

- 2012 F350 6.2 for a serpentine belt tensioner worn through the front cover and an abs module

- 2015 F550 6.7 with a blown cold side cac tube and what might turn out to be a plugged DPF

PDI's.....Tried to sell an engine to the owner of a 2009 F350 with a worn out 6.4L, also tried to sell an EGR cooler and rad to the owner of a 2012 F250. Haven't heard anything on either of them.

I got a 13 escape with 25000 miles with a trans that got overheated bad enough that it melted the range sensor and won't crank. One of the code's freeze frame data shows 275 degrees f.

Customer said he was in a bad part of a local city and didn't wanna get off the freeway when it started to derate.

Also came to find out that it had a trans put in it 9 months ago when the previous owner had it.

BAH.... :eek: The 2010 F350 showed up.....Smokes, hissing, lacks power.....Full DPF and EGR delete, Banks turbos and CAC....Check engine light is now since the customer removed the tuner... :scratch: ....Turbo's are bad because the reusable air filter seems to have let some dirt pass and whoever put the turbos on it left the heat shield off, so I pretty sure the oil is getting slightly cooked before it hits the turbos. Found the CAC tube off the HP turbo ripped, so that's his main concern fixed. Slow ass Spartan tuners...took forever to put the correct tune back in to turn off the light, plus they won't let the engine run without the MAF hooked up... 

Crankcase pressure 14" water, disconnected the CAC and it dropped to 4"...turbos confirmed. 

2010 6.4L F350 previously had gas in the fuel system. complete fuel system replaced and tanks cleaned out at a previous location. made it 2000 km's and customer limped it in. cylinder 2 compression is 140 psi. secondary fuel bowl full of metal. assuming the hpfp let go. already fighting on who's paying.

I have officially worked on a smart car. Welded in a new flex pipe on the exhaust. The flex is part of the muffler pipe which is in excess of $300

The bolts at the flange in the first pic are reused 6.0 turbo bolts. The gasket is the same size as a 6.0 y-pipe gasket

image.jpg

image.jpg

I have what every fleet manager cringes to hear..........one of their diesel trucks with a tank full of 87 octane, and when I say full I mean 40 gallons.

2013 F-450......let the pencil whipping begin.

I still have that 6.4 shortblock I'm here working on today. Had Monday and Tuesday blanked out on the schedule to finish it and we had a guy call off both days. I haven't touched it all week

Outside on hold is a 6.0 no start hot that I had to put an alternator on before I could even verify, a 6.4 with turbo or up-pipe issues. In my other bay is a 07 F-250 plow truck getting brakes, rotors, e brake levers and napa rear backing plates.

DEF Quality Codes on a Duramax.  DEF quality tested low, but not by much.  DEF tank heater was cracked.  Notice the goo leaking out.  Notice the DEF crystals inside the heater once it dried out.

20160617_092024_zps2czcywbr.jpg

20160619_124157_zpsevdpzpnw.jpg

Diesel work? What's that? It seems the good old 3.5L V6 has been spitting out more than my share of water pumps lately. I've done about five or six alone this last month, and waiting for a go ahead another outside. Four have thrown P0011/P0022 codes from having badly worn shaft bearings, enough to throw valve timing off and milkshake the crankcases.

I did a leaking STC today in an 07 F-350. Haven't actually done one that wasn't preventative for a long time. Anymore it seems like all the easy hot no starts are fixed

image.jpg