Hmmmmm? What it be?

Rate this topic

I'm going with a new tool box.  One of our techs brought one in Friday from Home Depot. 

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner. This should last me until i retire. Only have about 8 years to go.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Husky-52-in-11-Drawer-Mobile-Workbench-with-Solid-Wood-Top-22-in-Extra-Deep-HOTC5211B1QBD/204765860?MERCH=REC-_-PIPHorizontal1_rr-_-205562434-_-204765860-_-N

if it were a Snap-On you could add a zero before the decimal. Am I wrong?

I think you're way light, a comparable Snappy box like that is probably well over 10G.  I have a KRL 1003 and I think a comparable box today is about $13K.  Snappy makes good boxes but I'd never buy one new, I bought mine used 20 years ago (like new) for about 2G.  I'm old and can't remember what I paid for it. In my opinion they prey on the pay-as-you-go people....

Meant to get a picture today but just didn't happen. Got it assembled but nothing in it yet. The casters are better quality than I expected. Crazy busy last few weeks. Probably go in Saturday and move stuff around.

Yep I'd say Bruce would be close on price. We had the industrial/toolbox rep come by my work a couple weeks ago to peddle boxes. Talked one of my coworkers into a Mr Big toolbox for the cool price of nearly 20k(google it if need be, way too much box IMO, no side lockers or hutch on his yet..) I'm still on my same boxes from college, a Mac MB1080 Tech1000 triple bay, and a snapon road box sits on the top with my essentials I can load into the service truck when I need to go to the field. I paid 1800 for the mac, and 950 for the road box over 10 years ago with the college student discounts.

I would like to know who is buying this stuff at these prices. I don't even talk to my Snap-On dealer, 1- because he is an asshole and 2- I cant afford Snappy products any more. I see (what few) young kids coming in that will never buy these tool storage units. They ARE really nice and I would love a new box which I really don't need... but I'll pass. I have lost and broken many tools over the last 10 years that I can't afford to replace. When I do it's not with a Snap-on tool and my Snappy tool monger walks up, picks up a tool and says "Is this what it has come to?" FUCK YOU! But, on occasion I do order right from Snap-On or find it on EBAY.

I am sure that Husky tool box will do the job credibly. :thumbup:

"Is this what it has come to?" FUCK YOU! But, on occasion I do order right from Snap-On or find it on EBAY.

I am sure that Husky tool box will do the job credibly. :thumbup:

Don't hold back, Keith.  Tell us how you really feel. :grin:

I've bought many Snappy items from Ebay including an end cab box about 2 months ago for $650 delivered from IN when a new one is $2800.  That just reminded me, my 1/4" drive 13mm flex socket is missing. (pause) I just bought a new one on Ebay for $17 delivered, and it's simpler than getting it from my Snappy driver.

I have only bought 2 new tool boxes in my life. First was a Craftsman set when I first started, ended up having the top box stolen, full of tools, out of the back of my truck while it sat out in front of my house. Bought a used one to replace that, painted the roll cab twice, then 4 years ago I treated my self to a new roll cab from the local Peavymart. Nice size, holds all my tools, and no top box means I have a work space for my laptop and stuff, all for $800 Canadian. My old combo I donated to the shop for the lube techs.

I own 3 snap on boxes. My main triple bay with top is the mid priced classic series. Top and bottom together probably paid 8k but I didn't buy them together. There's about a 5 year span between the 2 and of course I made payments on them each time. My smaller box is a single bay heritage box, snagged it (in like new condition) off Craigslist for $500.

They are loaded with snap on tools but not all were purchased retail. Things like wrench sets can be scored off eBay for a good price when pawn shops take them in.

I do admittedly have a large amount invested in tools. No one in either shop I've worked in would come close anymore.

Hey Keith

Is your Snappy guy named Ron?  I doubt it, but he must be a twin to the prick who we have. 

He only ever stops if the guy next door needs stuff or owes money for tools. 

When  you go to get stuff warrantied, he either doesn't have it or says he'll get it and never shows up.

There's another dealer who stops at a BMW specialty shop not 3/4 of a mile from where I work.  The other guy, who stops every week, offers specials, etc, can't go to us because it's not his route.

When I've ordered certain things I really wanted from snap-on's website that used to work, I was asked why.  I pretty much summed it up like you did.  The prick showed up the following Tuesday yelling at me why I'd say stuff like that. Made me wish for a go-pro.

That got me the first time I used the ol phone to make a video. Yes I was the nube and the object of ridicule. You must turn the phone horizontally before you hit the record button or you end up with what is in your present video. Trying to turn the phone after you have started recording will not make any difference.....stop the recording then turn the phone and resume recording if you forget in the future.

That got me the first time I used the ol phone to make a video. Yes I was the nube and the object of ridicule. You must turn the phone horizontally before you hit the record button or you end up with what is in your present video.

I kinda suspected that. Keep forgetting. Thanks.

I have never had a loan on a box yet. Other then 30 days interest free to get the $1000 rebate. Once I had the rebate it got payed off. I'm on my 3rd box. Got more in trade then I payed for either of the other 2. But this was also before I was married and had a house.

image.jpeg

Posted Image

Posted Image

What's this turning into- a "show a picture of your box" thread?

The box is a KRL1003 that's probably 25 years old. I recently bought the end cab off Ebay which was the wrong color and reshot it to match. Yes, the socket racks on top are HF, my daily drivers, the Snappy racks are in the drawer for when I need them. Oddly enough, the HF sockets do a really good job.

:grin:

How do you like that AutoSet?  I have a manual Millermatic 135 I really like, I replaced a small POS Lincoln mig with it. I use it mostly for sheet metal panel replacement on old cars, I have a larger Miller stick if I need to weld heavy.