04 6.0 Reseal

Rate this topic

Long story short my brother bought an 04 F-250 late build that was wrecked. Backed into twice by a cement truck in the left upper corner of the grille, pushed the cooler stack in some, but not far enough to push the fan into the radiator. I heard it run before he bought it, but not for more than about 30 seconds. (No coolant in it)

Now it is sitting in his garage with the whole front end torn off and it keeps leaving puddles of engine oil. I can't tell where it's coming from, looks like it's coming out of the oil pan gasket and the bedplate gasket is leaking. He want's to yank it and reseal the thing since he's got the core support completely off. It's got somewhere between 200k and 250k on it, it fired up cleanly in 45 or 50 degree weather. I'm gonna plan on doing bedplate gaskets and head gaskets, and all of the other gaskets that come with going in that deep. I do want to look at the oil pump.

Is there anything else that would be worth while doing other than the obvious oil cooler, egr cooler, and turbo cleaning? Wasn't there something about replacing the push rods cause the new ones will be shorter?

The new ones are .058" shorter. If the heads are resurfaced it gets iffy about tappet travel. Same for valve wear into seats.

$64 for a set is cheper than the aggravation if it goes back together and has low compression on a cylinder.

I stick a new set of shorter pushrods in every one I have the heads off.  No issue at all doing this and I've probably done 20 sets by now.  One of the last high mileage 6.0s I had apart I put a new set of lifters in and noticed the guides are updated to the 6.4 style.  This engine is well into 200k miles and has about 20k on the new lifters already. 

I have not had the bed plate off one with that many miles but I would expect to see some wear on the main bearings at that point.  If it is a standard bearing they are cheap to replace.

Just a scary thought for the day: 6.9/7.3/6.0/6.4 lifters are the same as Oldsmobile 5.7 diesel, GM 6.2/6.5 diesel, Olds gas v8 with rollers, Olds 4.3 diesel v6, and some others.   DNA testing can be ugly.

• 2 weeks later...

$600 lifters? 8C3Z-6C329-B comes with 4 lifters and the updated guide. Ford's cost = $49.05 suggested retail = $77.86

x 4 your only looking at $311.44 even at full retail.

I was looking for those...parts listing for the one I just finished didn't show them...oh well. Boss still gets a discount..

If you look in the illustration they show a box around the 4 lifters and the guide. He never looked at the picture. Just punched in the basic for a lifter.

Same with my parts guy.

Just a scary thought for the day: 6.9/7.3/6.0/6.4 lifters are the same as Oldsmobile 5.7 diesel, GM 6.2/6.5 diesel, Olds gas v8 with rollers, Olds 4.3 diesel v6, and some others.   DNA testing can be ugly.

Are you saying these are all the same PN lifter?  If so, I didn't know that.

It makes sense. Why invent something new when it's easier to make the block fit an existing part. After all, don't the new GM diesels use the same injection system as Ford?