Ranger Motor Swap

Rate this topic

forddieseldoctor

Touche my friend touche. I was going to add the little doodad above the letter e but it's a bit aggravating with windows 8 and a laptop without a number pad.

Two things I looked at when I started removing cabs on non superdutys......how tight is the engine between the firewall and the radiator support when being lifted out and how hard is it to get to the bell housing bolts and o2 connectors/exhaust. A Ranger or Explorer with a SOHC engine can be a bit tight in the bolt area but easily clears the firewall and rad support, so in this instance, I would not remove the cab to get the engine out.

A V-8 F-150 on the other hand is wicked tight betwixt the front and back sheet metal. I pulled an engine out of the first cab forward design in 1997 and thought it was ridiculous. I then had to do a stick shift engine in a '97 and thought it was just down right asinine. After that and every since then I have pulled the cabs on F series for anything from engine replacements to head gaskets to valve stem seals.

• Like 1

You will find on a ranger/explorer that they come out o.k. After you get the intake out of the way the top

trans bolts can be reached from there. Most everything else can be stripped of and positioned out of the way. The old 3.0 was my favorite.

I'm a little late to the party, but yeah a Ranger 4.0L SOHC (as well as Sport Trac, 1st gen Explorer etc.) can easily be done without removing the cab. Brad Clayton summed it up pretty good.