Is Ford Testing a 2017 F150 Diesel?

Rate this topic

That topic has been brought up on the P2P forums and the guy in Oakland, can't remember his name and the site is down for maintenance, is pretty adamant about the fact that Ford is not going with a diesel for the F150.  

When fuel prices go back to $4 Ford will do what it takes to protect sales of a high profit vehicle. The market seems to not have a problem with 1/2 tons over $50K so why would anyone think that ford would not use an existing engine that they could market for even higher profit. Dodge has had success with their diesel during this period of low fuel prices without having to resort to heavy incentives.That is hard for Ford to ignore in their defense of this VERY important market.

And don't forget the Chevy Colorado Diesel, Nissan Titan Diesel...

The vented exhaust tip suggests a different story than what Mr. Adamant is saying. Ford may not decide to go with a diesel but would they be testing a truck if they were not serious about it? This is interesting indeed and I can't wait to see how this plays out.

Well I'm taking class in Atlanta this week so I asked the instructor. He didn't outright confirm it, but from our conversation they seem to be testing them with the Land Rover V-6. I think due to CAFE standards they have to meet they will look at anything to get fuel economy up. I think the Ram states 28mpg with theirs, pretty sure I saw GM claiming 31 with the Colorados.

I think it dies hide body lines and styling cues. Its the trucks running around with the covers and what looks like padding in "key" areas that are hiding something new. I have to agree with you though as there is not much left to the imagination and the wrap attracts attention.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from Hybrid training and as usual we got off topic and got into a diesel discussion. A few things to confirm. Yes that is the Land Rover V6 diesel in the F150. Side note, that engine is made by Ford in the 6.7L plant. They are again toying with the idea and is a possibility for 2017, however it may or may not be that specific engine and it looks like it won't be the 3.2L 5 cylinder used in the Transit. They are also redoing the after treatment on the Superduty, which they confessed to be a major screw up on their part. New specs coming down the pipeline for emissions in a couple of years.

• Like 1