6.4 fuel smoke

Rate this topic

Truck came in from a local used car lot its a 08 154k miles. They bought on auction for customer delivered to him he brought back saying smokes and mil on. There mechanic was lost (just does brakes and minor stuff). All I was told was smokes after driving and has partial delete. Not sure what partial delete means.  Visual inspection noticed little low on coolant. I ran self tests p1335 and p0420 koec. Test drove monitoring pids noticed regen says clean then minimum (never seen that before) after it got to operating temp starting pouring smoke out. Pulled over went to tail pipe eyes start to water definitely fuel smoke. Brought up sft pids they are all over the place from -18 to +19 brought up power balance is even when enhanced is disabled have couple cylinders just slightly off. Relative comp even. Cleared fuel tables and in short time they are all wacked. On start up the dash flashed drive to clean. ????? It doesn't have a dpf just a straight pipe. Told my advisor the fuel trims and fuel smoke makes me think it is going to need a complete fuel system. I want to pull valve covers and check for debris. But I am really concerned about the drive to clean with no dpf. I have a feeling this truck is stock programing. I had advisor call and tell them they need to put dpf back in and let me reprogram to latest to really diag. Or get a quality programmer let me flash to latest ford program then they can put in the programmer and lets see what it does.

I did check crankcase pressure was only 5 h2o.

Edited by tonybullitt

Gave the truck a quick look over. Obviously been recently worked on. New front cover, exhaust manifolds. The straight pipe looks like just pipe someone put together but it does have sensors put in it.

If it has a P0420 then I would think it is trying to bring the DPF up to temp by dumping fuel down the exhaust.  That would explain the code and the fuel out the tailpipe.  I bet you are correct that it is a stock program and someone just deleted the DPF without the programmer.

Joe

We see a lot come from the auction that way. They remove the tuner to use on the next vehicle, but leave the delete pipe in because they don't have the DPF to put back in. 

Partial delete means they either removed just the DPF and left the Cat in there, or they didn't remove the EGR coolers or disable the EGR valve.

Just heard they are picking truck up. They have programmer ordered and will let me know how it runs after programed.

Lmorris do they run like this when you have seen stock program and no dpf?

Just heard they are picking truck up. They have programmer ordered and will let me know how it runs after programed.Lmorris do they run like this when you have seen stock program and no dpf?

All they do is start regen when it hits operating temp and gets over 40 MPH. Never had any reason to check fuel trims. 

My local FMC trainer told me years ago if you gut the DPF on a 6.4 without a chip the PCM thinks the DPF pressure sensor is bad and will run regen constantly in hopes of keeping the DPF from plugging. This seems to agree with what he said.

Yes, if it's a car lot or dealer selling a modified truck, not only is it a federal offense but they are also liable for putting all of the deleted stuff back on.  I've heard horror stories about this.....

:grin:

I am sure the car lot is having customer get the programmer to try and avoid this. They had tried to have us get one. We said nope. Thanks you guys are confirming what I figured was going on with this truck.

I meant the pouring fuel smoke out when it's attempting to regenerate all the time.

Yes, because there is nothing there to light up the fuel and keep it burning, should have been more specific, sorry for any confusion. 

BTW there are some older tuners running around out there that you have to tune the PCM first to unlock the delete option in the tuner, THEN you have to tune it AGAIN with the regen set to off. What a joke. Those one got me a few times and I released a vehicle only to have it come back smoking like a bugger... :banghead:

Best way to avoid this is to outright refuse to work on any vehicles coming in through the door with the emissions system either deleted outright, or modified in any way, shape or form. This way, we remove ourselves from any possible liabilities that can arise.