Daily Observations - Part II

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

Does anyone know if V10 engines have hour meters in the dash like diesels do?  We're doing a V10 gas class soon.......

Thanks!

:grin:

Econolines will not. I looked in the Super Duty owners guides going back a few years and it shows the engine hour display but makes no reference/exclusions to/for engines. I have none on the lot at this time to check, will do so when I have the opportunity.

With scrap steel prices this low I will no longer be able to fund my kid's college anymore based solely on paper clips that the parts guys put on my parts bags....I think they must have a semi-automatic stapler

I took in $770 the other day from our scrap. For whatever reason we put batteries/rads/DPFs out in the general metal bin where the scrap guys come and feast. I figure nuts to that so I scoop it when I see a decent pile. I bet that I pull in north of $2000/year with next to minimal effort.

Your company does not frown upon that? Our new owners (4 years now) realized that some techs were taking a lot of their own scrap metal and the "valet" who did our garbage and scrap metal at the time was pocketing the cash. Now, the owners have wised up and have a scrap metal dumpster that ALL scrap metal is to be deposited. I am sure it produces a nice check when it is taken. Every dollar counts.

Does anyone know if V10 engines have hour meters in the dash like diesels do?  We're doing a V10 gas class soon.......

Thanks!

What model year and vehicle are we talking about?

I take my own aluminum, mostly diesel radiators and 6.0 oil coolers.  The other guy on my side of the shop takes everything he gets, mostly rotors.

Our boss wanted to put a stop to that and pocket the money but nothing ever became of it.  If upper management wants to collect scrap then they can damn sure do what they please but since we have no porters, lot attendants or janitors who is going to collect it up? It isn't gonna be me and no one else around gets their hands dirty. 

Thanks!

What model year and vehicle are we talking about?

No specific model year, it's a fleet so they'll have many model years. This electric utility account is one of my longest clients and their avg MPH on the diesels is like 11-13 on several trucks we saw and one was 8. If they're changing oil by miles and not hours you'll know what happens- sludge, phaser codes, and no easy solution. Many fleet mgrs still refuse to change oil by hours in situations with huge idle time, and then blame the techs for not being able to fix the truck or the high engine failure rate. I'm not doing the class, my gas trainer is, but he is a retail instructor and not a fleet instructor.  Not much difference between the two but avg MPH is one of those differences.

So, if amailloux's truck has one, that's a good indicator they've been around a while.  If anyone could check a couple of similar V10 SD's I would be very appreciative.

Thanks, guys!

Your company does not frown upon that? Our new owners (4 years now) realized that some techs were taking a lot of their own scrap metal and the "valet" who did our garbage and scrap metal at the time was pocketing the cash. Now, the owners have wised up and have a scrap metal dumpster that ALL scrap metal is to be deposited. I am sure it produces a nice check when it is taken. Every dollar counts.

Our shop actually pays to have scrap iron/aluminum/lead etc etc hauled away. :scratch: I blatantly asked the powers that be prior to taking anything - zero fvcks were given.

This situation still baffles me. Next door to us is a major auction site, lots of heavy equipment and trucks, both heavy duty and light duty. Being so close we get a majority of the Ford Superduties that get bought, in for repairs. Every now and again we get guys that come in from other provinces...can you see where this is going. Some of these trucks are not road ready, especially for a trip through the Rocky Mountains, Where today's prime example is headed. The guy buys a 2009 F350 dually with 310,000 km on it that has an exhaust leak. Brought it to us yesturday to have the leak inspected, which turns out to be the right up pipe. I am to busy to get it done, the other guy that is trying to take the place of our recently retired diesel tech, is also very busy. The customer expected to be able to drive it back to B.C. on Saturday.....WTF...Who goes to an auction to buy a truck and doesn't factor in some down time for repairs before making a safe 2 day trip back home with said truck?.... :crazy:  :scratch:  ::bang:: . Needless to say we got it done, but the mayhem up front was a thing to behold. :popcorn:  :haha2:

Don't ever assume that all pneumatic hydraulic pumps are created equal.

Always double check conversions between metric and american units.

Long story short I managed to order a pos pump that is only half the capacity that we need for our trans jack. It made 2 partial cycles before it quit pumping. :facepalm:

I've gotta assume the only reason I'm around is to do someone else's job when we have a guy call off. If I ever did call off, which I never have, I bet no one would be taking my place for the day.

• Like 1

It's the simple shit that hurts the hardest.

Loose ground cable on a 99 E-350 ambulance. Was dropping battery voltage just enough to keep the pcm in the dark while cranking from time to time.

Reminds me of one I had years ago. I long blocked a 5.4L in an E-350. When I went to fire it up, it kept cranking with no fuel getting to the engine. It turned out that I had forgotten to re-install the ground strap on the lower passenger side under the body (which was removed when I raised the body off the frame). Re-installed the ground strap and the fuel pump came back to life.

I've gotta assume the only reason I'm around is to do someone else's job when we have a guy call off. If I ever did call off, which I never have, I bet no one would be taking my place for the day.

Sounds like the exact shoes I walk in.

Anyone else ever think that vehicles where the oil filter is the easiest to access, always seem to end up being the ones that are always way overtightened when it ends up in your bay for an oil change?

Anyone else ever find your good old Snap-On guy always has a way of showing up in your bay trying to sell you (rape you???) every tool under sun when it's the deadest, and therefore the time where you are least in a position to be buying that $600 cordless drill that he's trying to pawn off on you?

Our tranny guy has an MT-82 out of an 11 mustang that has some kind of bearing noise.  We are in no way equipped to do manual transmission work, no pullers here of any kind and the shop press is a joke.   Hot plate? Forget about it.

He's called off the last 2 days and the customer is in an uproar.  This job has been passed on by 2 other dealers and now its here and my problem now.  The best part of it all?  It's ESP powertrain care

More tales of auction house woes. 2011 F350 flat deck/fifth wheel 6.7L with 190,000 kms on it, that spent a lot of time on lease roads. The guy was shocked that he may have to spend over $2000 to fix the reductant line, locked up fan clutch, leaking t-case, leaking lower oil pan, then drive it for a bit to see if the torque converter seal is in fact leaking.