Powdered Nuts

Rate this topic

I am replacing the pinion seal on a Ford 10.5 rear axle. Setting up the pinion pre-load and the nut gets extremely tight and stops turning to the point where I can't turn the nut any more. In fact, I snapped my Snap-on 3/4" to 1/2" adapter - should have used the 3/4" socket to begin with. Actually ended up on my back and went home early.

I took back apart to discover that the nut had stared coming apart where it contacts the flange. It left powdered metal debris behind. I order an new flange and nut, back to setting the pre-load. Again, the nut gets stupid tight long before I even get the movement taken up on the pinion. Off comes the nut and the same thing happened. Powdered debris from the nut and galling on the flange.

A coworker had a new nut in his collection of "stuff" that was identical to the dark gray nut I ordered BUT it was a bright shiny steel. I managed to clean up the flange and went for another try. The nut turned smoothly and the spacer collapsed without much fuss. So I wonder if any of you have had problems with these pinion nuts. I have NEVER had a problem like this with a rear. I have no other explanation for this failure other than to conclude it was the metal the nut is made from. And yes, the splines and the threads on the pinion were in perfect condition as were the seal, slinger, bearing and collapsible spacer.

[picture to come]

Yes I have. Same thing on a new gear set on an f150. The nut is stupid expensive as well. I went through 2 nuts, and then ended up reusing the original withe red lock tight.

I had a nut on a F-150 that started to mess up the threads on the pinion because the lock/smashed part was to agressive. I went back to a new nut(390313 S100) with locktite on threads and flanged part.