The week of international

Rate this topic

dieseldoc

I had a 2001 4300 chassis come in with a DT466 in it. It dropped an injector tip on #2 and damaged the piston. It was like pulling teeth but I finally got them to agree to a set of injectors and putting one cylinder in it. Now that I got approval, all the parts clean and ordered, I realize I don't have any service information available to me. If somebody with access could set me up with some torque specs and the like it would be greatly appreciated. What is the policy on head bolts, replace every time or only if damage or stretching is found?  Also if you guys have any of those "definitely look for this, or watch out for that" type of advice, would be great too. I have very little hands on experience with these engines.

I also had a smaller chassis come in with massive oil leaks on a 1996 T444E. The biggest leak is the dipstick adapter in the oil pan. I am going to fix this first than hopefully the oil will stay in it long enough to run it a while and find the rest.   Is there any common oil leaks or things to look for on these engines in this application?

Thanks guys

Did you get your info?  I was out of town last week. Check liner protrusion without o-rings, they've had problems with protrusion being wrong and causing HG problems. The sleeves have to be clamped down to check, IIRC spec is .002-.005" but I'll check if you need. Sometimes you have to cut the counterbores to correct the issue. Losing an injector tip is a pattern failure caused by air in the fuel, improperly bleeding the filter after changing it. There are TSBs on it and warnings. 

The T444E is a PITA to change the pan on, if the adapter bolts through the side of the pan there are tricks to change the o-ring without dropping the pan. Pan is RTV'd in place like a 7.3 PSD, but there is stuff in the way to drop it, so avoid doing so if possible if it's not rotted. 

:grin:

Thanks bruce. Yeah I got a trial of mitchell truck series. The program has lots of information n I'm impressed with it so far but kind of pricey. Anyway the 466 had a lot of trouble with air in the fuel last fall. I explained to the customer that's likely the root cause.... it's gone n he's happy so far. The 444 I replacec the oring with the pan on,put a dab of ultra grey around the nut, looks ugly but it sealed. Apparently that is instructions in a ih kit..?? Bad news is the pan joint is leaking on the right front corner along with the front and rear crank seals. I quoted the guy to pull the engine n reseal both the front n rear structures n the pan. Waiting to hear back.I figured it's the best n quickest way to fix em all. He want to get rid of the truck next year but you can't very well run a truck for a year with just shy of a stream of oil leakin out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

Head bolts are 1 time use.

Check the fuel tank for rust.  Rust in the tank turned into the #1 cause of tips blowing off these injectors.