Labor Overcharge

Rate this topic

We had one of our customers call us. They were on a road trip with their 07 Escape. The alternator died. A Ford dealer a few states away helped them out and the proceded to help themselves to the customer's pocket book.

They charged 6 1/2 hours to replace an alternator on an awd v-6. They called us once they were on the road again asking what it should have cost them.

My service manager looked it up and came up with 2.8 hours. The customer had him call the other dealer and see why the labor number was so high. The service manager there claims that 6 hours was what was printed in Mitchell on demand. Then he proceded to embellish the story claiming he had 3 techs working on it and that they had the axle out, inner fender out, bumper cover off and even the fender off. And he said the customer is lucky they didn't charge them 8 hours.

Alldata:

2007 Ford Truck Escape 4WD V6-3.0L VIN 1

Parts Information OEM Part # Price

Alternator

1 - Alternator

8L8Z10346A $324.23
Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard

Alternator

Replace

Includes: R&I Transfer Case. Includes: R&R Intermediate Shaft Seal. NOTICE: On All-Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles, the Power Transfer Unit (PTU) seal must be replaced every time the intermediate shaft is removed.

Skill level B Warranty 0.0 Time 7.8

If I didn't replace the intermediate shaft seal it would be no problem.

I had a chat with my service manager this morning. He said the manager at the other store said that they didn't replace the seal and the copy of the paperwork that we got emailed to us didn't have a seal billed.

So with that being said I still feel that the overcharged the customer because if you are not gonna replace that seal you should be in the neighborhood of 3 hours.