01 Escape Hard Steering

Rate this topic

I have a Escape (1KA01406)that I put a reman P/S pump on 10 months ago, old pump had a shaft seal leaking. After I put the pump customer said very randomly it would steer hard for a split second. Comes back last week and it steers hard after pump is warmed up. I noticed when it steers hard it's almost like it has a catch then it steers fine until you steer the other way. If you really work the pump it just steers hard. I do not have a P/S analyzer but when it steers hard the pressure line really jumps and gets tight like it putting out good pressure, it also seems to have good flow on the return side. So I put a reman MC steering gear on it...Same problem. I noticed after the steering gear if I raise the RPM it will steer, I thought I tried this with the old rack and it didn't make a difference?

What am I missing?

Going to replace the reman pump with a new MC pump. I rechecked my work after I put the rack on and now my pressure hose is not getting tight unless I rev it up. I had to checked this thing out, then ordered the rack and then when I got it back in I never rechecked it.

I went back over my original diagnostic notes and before I put the rack on revving it up made no difference.

Any thoughts on whether my pump went bad between the time I checked it out and put the rack on or did I just mis diagnose the rack?

If I can't prove that the rack was bad and I'm probably not going to put the old 1 back on, I will probably end up buying a rack.

Yay....re-doing a pump for free and buying a rack... what a get rich plan :banghead:

I have seen quite a few pressure lines lose there internal plastic sleeves lately, and either get stuck in rack valves or plug up the lines. Usually if the pressure line is restricted you will gain assist with rpm.

Put in a new MC P/S pump today all seems to be well. Flow tested the system with air & my smoke machine did not seem to have any blockage. My test to condemn (there fixed it)reman pump was revving the engine or pull a vacuum on the system both made the pump put out more pressure (My thought is that both move/force the vanes in the pump out against the cam ring/housing)

Put in a new MC P/S pump today all seems to be well. Flow tested the system with air & my smoke machine did not seem to have any blockage. My test to condom reman pump was revving the engine or pull a vacuum on the system both made the pump put out more pressure (My thought is that both move/force the vanes in the pump out against the cam ring/housing) 

:haha2: :haha2:

You definitely will be CONDEMNED for not using a condom afterwards. Sorry, I just had to......

• Like 1