I performed 16b24 on a dpf deleted truck.

Rate this topic

I have a truck in here it is a 11 550,  it has multiple problems to diag, but it also had the 16b24.

I have no excuses for my mental lapse but right now I have a lot of stuff going on here and at home.

I was trying to be efficient about things and while I was performing a prior approval on a def heater

for another truck I thought I would at least get the 16b24 done.  About 3/4 of the way through it hit me

that the dpf had been deleted.  customer just bought this truck 6 months ago in a different state and

doesn't have the programmer.  Well, I feel like a real idiot right now and short of putting all the ex. components

back on, (which he doesn't have either), I will probably end up buying a dpf delete programmer.  I have to look

at costs here so I am asking if anyone has a cost effective programmer or alternative ideas?

Bully Dog would be the ONLY tuner I would recommend. Good tunes, user friendly and the staff are awesome to work with if you have issues. 6.7L tuners are expensive because you have to pay extra to unlock the delete feature. You could try finding a used one. Try to split the cost with the customer. Tell them that running a deleted truck with out the tuner on hand is a nightmare waiting to happen and that they should have taken care of that the moment they took possession of the truck. You could throw on them by saying they should have known it was tuned, and it's not your job to know these things. If they are a good customer they just might see your side and cover the cost, or be willing to split it with you. I still say that you shouldn't be responsible for this. Buyer beware.  

Thanks guys for the moral  support.  I have caught  many of the reprograms over the years and have given the customer the opportunity

to give the yes/no, but I just got upside down here and obviously am rushing myself to get things done.

I consider attaching diagnostic tools to a vehicle and doing as suggested or instructed without checking for the state of hardware tampering to be exactly like not looking in the rear view mirror for a vehicle passing you on the shoulder when your vehicle sputters and you turn on signal and ease onto shoulder out of traffic.

Years ago I hooked up an IDS to a Saleen mustang to pull ACM DTCs. The IDS prompted me that the vehicle had a unique PCM identifier and to enter the VIN/tear tag. Not knowing any better I did so and it instantly started reprogramming the PCM. I yanked the cord but it was too late. That PCM had to get shipped back to Saleen. They did take care of me free of charge but not without a ton of bitching over the phone.

I learned the hard way if you have a PCM unique identifier you need to manually start a session. I just had one with a roush that needed keys programmed.

If the 16B24 was one of the lines on the work order that the customer signed, then it's not your problem. You just did what you were told. If the truck doesn't run anymore because of illegal modifications, simply give him an estimate to return it to stock.

This way you will be in compliance with federal law and Ford specifications as any dealer tech should always be.

It was on the repair order but not on the write up, the customer is weighing his options.

I think I could work around this if I had another programmed truck with the programmer but

our used up car department might inherit this.

Threads like this are the exact reason I flatly refuse to work on any vehicle that has had any part of the emission controls either removed with or without tuners installed, if it's for any concern requiring the IDS to be connected to the PCM. I had a truck last week in for a 16B24 that was recently purchased used, with a DOC/DPF/SCR and EGR delete installed. I simply declined to do the reflash citing those exact reasons. The customer was completely understanding.