06 f350 egr or turbo issue?

Rate this topic

Got 06 f350 that came in with check engine light on slow to accelerate n smoke than takes off. Pulled memory dtcs of p0401. Koeo no codes koer of p 0299, p1408, p2263. Test drive n vgt% hung at 85% from a stop for about 5 sec with lots of black smoke than vgt% would change n it would take off. Egrv is at 1.14 koeo which is ok but close to not. Seems to operate actual and desired graphs are damn close. Brought in the shop n pulled the valve n it not fully seated but pretty close had little bits of carbon in it. Cleaned up the valve and intake opening. Put it back in n let it sit overnight. Cleared faults this morning n took for a drive. Was fine cold but once it warmed up it is doing the same thing. Ran koer when I got back and it yielded p0404 and p1408. It was here a month ago with the same complaint. Found a big chunk of carbon in the egr valve. Cleaned up as best I could, he wouldn't buy a valve. I told him ok but you will have this problem again. I also cleaned the ebp sensor and tube as well as IAT2 and the maf( aftermarket filter not installed correctly). The carbon in the intake is not super dry (is slightly tacky)but not obviously wet. There's some white residue on the #8 exh man port n up pipe joint of the manifold. Hold 18 psi overnight and vacuum for n hour. Possible head or gasket issue causing the moisture in exhaust n gumming up the turbo? Does not overpressurize the system on hard road test last time stuck around 8-10psi. My thoughts on this is that the turbo is sticking since the vgt% seems to change just as the engine starts to accelerate and come out of it. Sound like I'm on the right track? What makes me second guess this is that works cold and acts up as it warms up. Typically when I see turbo issues on the bigger engines it's the opposite, sticky cold n works better warmed up. Only notice the issue when accelerating from a stop. I'm working on getting ids right now but they need this truck before it will get here. So I can't run the egr and air system test. Be super nice right st the moment but such is life. Thanks for any input guys. Going to run through the tests for those codes now and see if I can find something.

I'm betting on you have a egr cooler starting to leak. Even though it holds vacuum I've been through similar scenarios before and 9/10

the cooler would let go in less than a 1000 miles. That being said you still need an egr valve and a turbo cleaning.

The oily soot build up can be caused by excessive idling, low engine temps, poor fuel, oil carry over from the turbo, or poor oil cooler performance. All those should be checked before doing any repairs or this will continue to be a problem. There is a TSB for EGR valve coking on PTS. It has all the information you should need.

EGR VP @ 1.14 KOEO is a little high isn't it? I should think it should be 0.85 to 0.95 if I remember correctly. That said, it definitely needs an EGR valve to start. The 85℅ VGT could be the turbo and/or the VGT solenoid. A quick and easy test would be to swap out a known good VGT to try.

The egr vp volts bothered me as well. New ones I have installed have been .65 to .85 KOEO. I had a new valve on the shelf so I put it in just to see. Cleared all faults and the KAM. Cycled the key and ran the KOEO,and KOER. Passed both and the egrvp volts was much better at .75. I road tested for 15 miles and all was good. Ran a KOER when I got back and it passed again. Going to let it cold soak tonight and try it again in the morning and see where we are at. I called the customer and told him what I found and the plan for the morning as well as that we need to dig further to fix the root cause because the valve fixed the symptom. He will be shutting down for the year in a month and said he will bring it back than as long as it goes well in the am. I told him it will stick another valve and continue doing this if we don't find the cause of the sticky carbon. He agreed and said it will be coming back in 4-6 weeks when they shut down. Can't force him to let me dig into it more now so I guess I will let it go in the am if it passes road test and tests. I will have ids than and better resources to hopefully completely fix this for him, assuming he brings it back like he says he will.