What's In Your Bay - Part VII

Rate this topic

Keith Browning

I hear ya Keith. I've gone that route too but there are a couple of items in the kit that I was told by parts manager that are not available at the moment, one being a fuel line. Not that parts would ever make a mistake or exhaust all options to obtain everything. Laziness has become a bigger issue in that department lately.

From what I am told, piecing out the kit is way more expensive than the kit itself so if you go that route make sure you have the blessing of your rep. It helps if its a down vehicle with a really pissed off customer. FM 360, emails, parts inquiries...  the price of customer satisfaction!

Thanks Keith. I've been through all of it with parts. They started a PACO case immediately and will see if that goes to a backorder escalation. The last kit was on emergency and never came, ended up getting a dealer to sell one after practically begging. The customer was furious, truck was 32' F550 limousine and this all happened right before the holidays. Losing 1200 every weekend it was down. The pickup I have now has been here 10 days, customer still ok but as you know that can turn in an instant.

I sold a retail 6.7. but cannot get the install kit or the new style engine mounts.( I think one could just drill the holes bigger in the old ones? any input on that?) It is a CP rail service unit for locomotives, they need it back asap. I have never had a nearly 20k prior approval go through ARI so fast. Lost the sale on the engine though. Instead they are sending me a used one out of a rental truck they wrote off back east somewhere.

For us it depends on who is on the other end. Simple maintenance is quick and painless, but high dollar repair quotes sometimes can take a week and 6 or more phone calls back and forth. Their new online pre approval setup is nice.

The throw out bearing went out in our 94 Super Duty and when I got in there I found it still had a dual mass flywheel.  That's all getting tossed in the garbage and we're putting in the Luk single mass.  

Got the used engine in the 16 f550. Turns out the engine they had was out of a 2011 or 12 f-350, and the turbo, upper and lower intakes and oil separator were all missing. Although they did ship it to me with the trans and t-case attached. Basically only used the long block. Finally got all the parts to reassemble the diff in the 2017 f-350 ( has a piled up carrier bearing), and to reassemble the 5r55 for a broken reverse band. I have so much stuff torn down and pushed out right now its nuts. It seems like everything I work on i have to get some or all of my parts from the USA. For me that is 10-14 days. Parts is getting sick of doing unit down reports and emergency ordering stuff!  Diaged a 6.4 fuel for a fuel system, started as a stuck open injector. When i removed it i was pouring water out of the return port.

Finally got the 15 6.7 used engine job done. What a total cluster fuck this was. After we found the contaminated hpf system in the first used engine, I was sent a second engine to put in after they declined me swapping over the original fuel system. Second engine shows up with turbo missing, crushed upper and lower oil pan, etc. 3rd engine shows up, unknown mileage, nothing capped off and find water inside. Insurance company finally approves fuel system swap so back in with the original used engine and assembled. This was all because insurance company did not want to approve additional labor time and parts cost to swap fuel system the first time.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bolts came out fine. But it's a 17 with 6k on it and I had put alot of antisieze on when I had them out previously. This one set code for the injector in dpf when I went to replace it  threads galled and it locked up so it got a dpf. I noticed trans leak then added dye. 

43 minutes ago, forddieseldoctor said:

I so wish I had the hoist to be able to do that. I’d be stuck working on this one on my back. 

In my dealership, I've told my SM that if I can't drive it into my shop (because it's too long), or I can't walk under it (because I can't lift it), I won't work on it PERIOD. I'm getting too old for that kind of shit.

1 hour ago, mchan68 said:

In my dealership, I've told my SM that if I can't drive it into my shop (because it's too long), or I can't walk under it (because I can't lift it), I won't work on it PERIOD. I'm getting too old for that kind of shit.

We have 4 18k rotory hoist in this building. Plenty of service trucks I cant lift.  But have it made for the most part

• Like 1

On 7/25/2018 at 6:01 PM, mchan68 said:

If you're pulling the transmission, let me know know how you make out with the Crossmember Fasteners.

Just pulled the trans on a '15 and it blew junks. The trans crossmember bolts came out hard and one required a little torch action to get it moving. That was the easy part, the subframe on the other hand was a nightmare. The right rear bolt was frozen in the control arm bushing and both cage nuts spun. :sick:

• 3 weeks later...

Well I feel like every truck in my county is here for me to work on.

Currently waiting on parts or room in the shop for repairs:

2012 F-350 6.2 gas- SPW heater core- Flushing cooling system as well as this is the 2nd core it's eaten in less than 6 months

2008 F-350 6.4- EGR temp sensor in the RH up-pipe and EGT 11 sensor. Quoted the RH up-pipe just in case

2016 F-250 6.7- Getting a starter and EGR bypass actuator under warranty.

2011 F250 6.7- Cab mounts and coolant flush.

2012 F550 6.7- MAF sensor,air filter, and resealing the air box. Truck belongs to the local airport and is set up as a fire truck. The up fitter added a filter restriction gauge inside the cab, and ran a vacuum hose to the air box. But they cheaped out and tried sealing a plastic vacuum tee to the inside of the box, but failed. Dirt getting sucked through this hole contaminated the MAF. Went by Lowes last night and picked up some brass fittings to install in the box for a good seal and attach their vacuum hose.

2008 Explorer- Belongs to some of my wife's family, getting a ABS module and both front hub bearings.

2013 F-250 6.7- DEF Sending unit under ESP, front brakes and fuse for trailer connector retail pay.

2012 F-350 6.2 gas- Brake Master cylinder is bypassing internally, and all 4 brakes are smoked from overheating. Even the rubbers on the slide pins were melted off, and the paint on the backing plates were burnt off. So it's getting a complete brake system-MC,HCU, all calipers, hoses, rotors, slide pin kits, pads, seals, and front wheel bearings. Only thing left will the hard brake lines.

Then I have a whole parking lot left to diagnosis.

2014 F-250 6.7- CEL is on, A/C not cooling well, Works package, balance tires, and fuel filters.

2016 F-350 6.2 gas- CEL, engine stalls. Flashers inop, trailer brakes inop, tire rotation and brake inspection.

2015 F-250 6.7- CEL, reduced engine power at times, will not start, works package, fuel filters.

2015 F-450 6.8 gas- Ticking noise from engine.

2011 F-350 6.7- CEL, customer states is has DTC for DEF sender under 18M01

2015 F-250 6.7- CEL, backup camera inop.

2018 Transit 3.2 Diesel with 19 miles- No start, CEL is on.

And I think I have 2 coming in Monday for appointments, and we are booking other appointments out 2 weeks. Still just me doing diesels now that I've been back full time since spring. Told the boss the other day we need to add on to the shop, I know a kid that finished ASSET school working at another dealer that I want working here. But current building size will only support 1 tech right now.

41 minutes ago, Chad_Kelsoe said:

But current building size will only support 1 tech right now.

Wow. Small town dealer? Our shop has 15 hoists. and 2 flat bays. 11 techs.