Upgraded FICM

Rate this topic

Never really messed with the upgraded FCIM's, I have a 03 6.0 that I own and its got some pretty bad cold start misfires, and if the ficms are worth taking care of stiction then it would almost be cheaper than injectors.  any recommendations weather its worth while to upgrade to 58volt.

where would you suggest to get one, or send it to?

And I know there is upgraded tunes for them too?

From what I have read the voltage upgrade itself is not always noticeable nor does it do anything for reliability as the higher voltage stresses the module more so than the stock 48 volts. If you are having bad stiction issues other than replacing the injectors or sanding the spool valves (we discussed that here some time ago) you could try changing your oil to 10W30 or even 5W40 synthetic to see if that helps.  Then there is Hot Shot's Secret Stiction Eliminator which has decent reviews with claims of 90% effectiveness. I have never used the product personally though.

I'm running 5w40 full synthetic and I also ran two bottles of rev x, it helped, but still has a cold start misfire,

like I said never messed with any of them and didn't know if it was worth it. from the cost It would be cheaper to put FICM in than two injectors, if I send out my FICM it would be same cost as 1 injector, so that's why I'm just throwing around idea, I have 3 6.0s i own, this is in my 03 2wd excursion has 245k on it, my 05 250 I've ran 5w40 in it for last 3-4 years and it doesn't have any problems, and my 04 4wd excursion I rebuilt the motor and haven't got it running yet.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There is a guy in north DFW Texas area that is an EE and does circuit robustness improvements but not voltage changes. His FICMs last and have no codes and seem to do what he touts. He has FICM tunes he sells too. I have no idea if the tuned ones set codes or what they do or don't do.

FICMFIXER.com

On 3/7/2018 at 9:06 PM, jimmy57 said:

There is a guy in north DFW Texas area that is an EE and does circuit robustness improvements but not voltage changes. His FICMs last and have no codes and seem to do what he touts. He has FICM tunes he sells too. I have no idea if the tuned ones set codes or what they do or don't do.

FICMFIXER.com

Do you know these peeps? They seem to be in your neck of the woods.

I don't know the guy other than phone contact when I send FICM's to be fixed. I quizzed him abut the repairs to be sure it wasn't just a resistor re-solder. He said he changes caps that are at their limit for the purpose in circuit. The caps and some upgrade resistors give a crisper voltage build that has a better chance to move spool valves in less than perfect bores. He says he does not increase voltage. Some people I referred delivered and picked theirs up and said he takes time to answer questions.

I have one that is on a truck for 5 years and something around 120K miles and it has not had an issue. OEM originals and Ford half shells never go that long in TX heat.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

If your having sticktion concerns the ficm rarely takes care of it. It might be time for injectors especially if its an 2003 MY. Im not a fan of the higher volt ficms in the 6.0s since I dont believe they do anything performance related.