Remote Starter Inop Since PSCM Replace 2009 Escape

Rate this topic

Hi guys, I have a 2009 Escape which I replaced the column to correct a sudden loss of power assist. Since replacement, the customer complaint is the remote starter won't work. When an attempt to initiate a remote start is made with the single button remote, the instrument panel lights do power up as if the ignition is in the RUN position but instead of starting, the PATS light flashes fast and three horn chirps sound off as if an attempt to start the engine is made using an unauthorized PATS key. I've checked and double checked anything I was near during the column replacement. There doesn't appear to any issues there. This is what appears to be a Ford add-on remote starter system (Stamping number 7L2J-19G367-AA). If any of you are in the know, or can provide literature to troubleshooting this would be appreciated. 

Just a thought as I'm not familiar with the escapes since I left the dealer scene some time ago now. Did the column replacement require relearning of PATS? If it did maybe try to perform an additional key programming and hit the remote fob button as your last key to possibly learn it?

11 hours ago, forddieseldoctor said:

Um any idea what the remote start uses to enable the pats system? I seem to remember a remote start system once that had a ring that had to be stuck onto the pats ring to make it think there wasa pats key in the ignition. 

Yes, it has that. I checked everything I had apart and nothing that I can see was compromised.

I believe you have a ford system 100. The troubleshooting is by horn chirps.

After horn chirp. ignition comes on for 2 seconds, system does not crank, then horn chirps 3 times. This indicates a problem with the door ajar circuit. It is not a needed input. Simply not connecting it will allow the system to work. On the module system 100 its green /violet  pin A-20. Most modules have a nice picture diagram on back. Just cut that wire or make sure it is connect to a door ajar circuit and is operating correctly.(door closed)

18 hours ago, Buddy_M said:

Just a thought as I'm not familiar with the escapes since I left the dealer scene some time ago now. Did the column replacement require relearning of PATS? If it did maybe try to perform an additional key programming and hit the remote fob button as your last key to possibly learn it?

As far as I know, no. I simply programmed the new PSCM using the PMI procedure with IDS as I always have without issue. Nowhere have I ever encountered having to do a PATS parameter reset, except on PCM and IPC replacements as far as I know.

To your point about performing the additional key program, do I simply just enter the PATS menu and select "program additional key" and then instead of inserting a new PATS key into the ignition and turning to the RUN position, I just simply press the remote starter button as if I'm attempting to initiate a remote start? So if I get this right, I should get a "programming successful" message if it goes through?

I've never installed an add-on Ford remote starter before, let alone had to diagnose an issue with one so if my questions seem dumb, sorry.

To answer the programing question: The easiest method is to have two know good keys. Cycle one to koeo then cycle the other on  and remove then press the start button on the fob.

All the diag is in dealer installed accessory page ,drop down menu under workshop manual. Select installation instructions one buttons are system 100 diag.

• Like 1

On ‎2018‎-‎03‎-‎07 at 3:50 PM, batmantech said:

To answer the programing question: The easiest method is to have two know good keys. Cycle one to koeo then cycle the other on  and remove then press the start button on the fob.

All the diag is in dealer installed accessory page ,drop down menu under workshop manual. Select installation instructions one buttons are system 100 diag.

THANK YOU. This is exactly what resolved the concern.:cheers-jeers: Learn something new everyday.