percentage of warranty

Rate this topic

kellyf

When I worked in Easley SC summer of 05 it was around 85-90% warranty. The other diesel tech was doing about 70% customer pay 7.3 work while I got almost all the 6.0L. Decided it wasn't worth it for me.

The bulk of our work is retail... the landscape around here is pretty brutal on equipment. Rocks, stumps, mud, muskeg, snow... this is textbook wilderness.

At the same time, we are under Fords microscope for warranty claims. Our diesel is high... considering 90% of what we work on is diesel.

Ford gave us a GR1-190 for free because our battery warranty is high (little wonder with the shock loads the plates get on our oilfield "roads").

At the same time, our techs get treated to "shared shortfalls"... Can't make book time on 6.0 head gaskets? We share the techs "pain" to some extent because happy techs are good techs (the concrete for our new addition floor will be poured in the next week or so - one month after that, the hoists go in..... and we are looking for warm bodies).

I'd say we are about 70/30 retail to warranty. We also get paid internal for any lost time on diesel warranty. I think it's just management's way of making sure the pen doesn't take care of any lost wages and shoot our warranty through the roof (that's if it could go any higher). That and I'm sure they understand that 6.0s are capable of throwing quite the curveball at times.

I'd say we are about 70/30 retail to warranty. We also get paid internal for any lost time on diesel warranty. I think it's just management's way of making sure the pen doesn't take care of any lost wages and shoot our warranty through the roof (that's if it could go any higher). That and I'm sure they understand that 6.0s are capable of throwing quite the curveball at times.

This just amazes me! Here we are strongly encouraged to "work faster" or "work more hrs (6 day weeks required to live)" if we come up short due to poor warranty times...

We have most of our techs diesel certified, so we are able to dispatch work pretty evenly. Since we are close to the oil patch we get alot of beat up roustabout rigs in. Management keeps track and seems to make sure no one "dies" on too much warranty. Though I have to admit some techs in the shop tend to have more warranty hours because of their own failures. I have only been at the 50% warranty mark a few times.

Originally Posted By: alexb

This just amazes me! Here we are strongly encouraged to "work faster" or "work more hrs (6 day weeks required to live)" if we come up short due to poor warranty times...

It certainly doesn't happen often, but if you do happen to lose on a job, like if you missed something and had to take it apart twice, it's there for the taking.

Most of my work is 100% warranty. I am the only person with diesel certification; or any Ford training. Not bad for the only truck shop in Eastern Ontario. The other guys seem to know everything, and won't even do basic electrical, which they could really use !

They do all the retail work, and whatever warranty that they do, gets submitted under my number.

It makes for a fun place to work when they will tell you how good they are, and that Hotline doesn't know what they are talking about. But then again, this comes from the guy that so far has about 70 + hours into diagnosing a loose trigger wheel, and has just started to reassemble the short block that "isn't going to fix the problem" !

Lucky for me my wife is due any day and I'm taking 2 weeks off! I just have to decide whether or not I will go back, and for how long. I hope the jackets get here soon!!

Sorry, I just had to vent .

Lew... we are also encouraged to work "more effectively" (I like that term better than "faster"). Canadas labour laws are tilted more in favour of the employee, anyway....

I'm pretty sure that studying the differences between techs in Canada and techs in the US could keep a team of academics working for a long, long time.

my work load is usually 70-90% warranty depending on the month. i dont much mind as we are paid hourly. we are very busy right now considering the time of year, about a 3-5 days wait to get a vehicle in depending on what the vehicle needs done and were like that through december too.

Lew... we are also encouraged to work "more effectively" (I like that term better than "faster"). Canadas labour laws are tilted more in favour of the employee, anyway....

I'm pretty sure that studying the differences between techs in Canada and techs in the US could keep a team of academics working for a long, long time.

I certainly didn't mean any of my comments as being negative towards the way things are done in Canada. The problem here is that we DON'T train and certify tech's like they do in your country. I have never been the fastest guy in any shop, but I'll bet you I had the least comebacks! That came directly from my father. His motto was take as long as it takes to do it right the first time long before Ford thought of that phrase.

We don't get paid for doing it right, but will damn sure get chewed out and/or back-flagged if it comes back. My integrity equires me to take the time to make sure it DOESN"T come back. That means my paycheck dropped by 30% or more from summer of 03 to summer of 05...the 6.0L put me out of the business. That plus ignorant management...