2015 F-350 no communication, no start, and error messages.

Rate this topic

Hello everyone. I am stuck on a customer's 2015 f-350 6.7 no crank no start, with error messages on the cluster display of advance trac, over temp, hill descent. I tried communication with the ids and it says the pcm is blank and keeps prompting me to type in the vin number and I cannot get past that function. I checked the dlc for power and ground and network voltage all passing. I checked the connector at the e-brake and all the pins looked good. I also disassembled the battery fuse junction box to look for any broken wires coming from the pcm relay to fuse 72 and it checked out. Anything I am missing or have you fellas seen anything else show up causing this issue. Thanks in advance for any help.

Just thinking out loud here but I don't think I have ever seen the connector under the column cause this... not saying it can't.

I agree about manually entering the vehicle and running a network test... then you can look at the network in the wiring diagram and narrow it down from there.

Hey Mike I am curious about how you came about the trailer brake controller as well. I performed the network test and found the CAN and ECU not communicating. Under the optional modules I found Ucodes for the trailer brake controller. I looked at the connector above the ebrake and both under the column looking at the pins and wires for the can circuit with no issues. Is there something I missed on the trailer brake controller Mike. Thanks for any suggestions I am lost on this one. Is there a big ssue with pin damage on these trucks?

Years ago, I had a brand spanking new F-550 towed in to me no-start after the install of the upfitted equipment which consisted of the dump body along with an aftermarket trailer brake control. Long story short, I learned the hard way that on units equipped or not equipped with the factory trailer brake controller, the connector to it will always be present, namely C2142. If you look at the connector pins #2 and #3, you will notice there are two wires entering each of the two cavities which is where HS-CAN + and HS-CAN - terminate. The upfitter had cut off the entire connector pigtail, and spliced only the wires they needed to run the aftermarket controller, while dead ending the two above mentioned circuits. In doing so, they cut off the PCM, BCM and IPC from the network. That would be VDB-04 (WH-BU) and VDB-05 (WH).

• Like 2

Those are the two circuits I am sure I am chasing. I did the ohm test on the DLC per the tsb and that checked out fine which makes me wonder if it really is a pin fitment issue I should be looking at. Is there instances of bad PCMs on these 6.7s?

• 8 months later...

Sorry fellas I never updated this. There was a part of the loom above the driver's side wheel inner liner that did not have tape going around it (exposed) found a green wire full of green. It just pulled open when I barely tugged on it. As soon as I reattached the circuit I could here the fuel pump come on. Looks like water from the battery tray was allowed to just sit there or from some nearby area. Thanks for all the help however.