broken rocker arm

Rate this topic

This is probably something that I should know, but I don't, so I'll ask.

A few weeks ago I had a 2005 with a broken intake rocker arm on one cylinder. I put in a hotline request for possible causes, other than sticking valves. The response was that there are no known causes for rocker arms to break, but overfuelling can cause it. How would overfuelling cause a rocker arm to break?

Where did the rocker arm break?

I have seen lots of them with the roller for the valve bridge being all pitted and nasty, maybe if one got bad enough it could cause the tip of the rocker to heat up and crack during use... but that's kind-of "out there" I guess.

I had a busted rocker once, but it was because the valves in the head were canted/incorrectly installed from the factory and it took out the rocker, and a couple valves.

Dave

It broke a few millimeters away from where the fulrum ball sits. I replaced the arm and the vehicle has been fine ever since, but what I still don't understand is how overfuelling may cause an arm to break.

I have heard that term being used before, but I have never heard any kind of an official explanation describing exactly what it means or the effects of "it." (assuming this is real)

Perhaps we need to get our hands on an engineer... /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/popcorn.gif

I know that IH had an AFC out for when they rockers break that they changed the design of the mount and arm. Don't know if this applies to this new of a model though.

There is still a Active SFN campaign issued Dec 06 on Valvetrain issues for Both VT-275-VT-365.If any wear is detetected on rocker tip fulcrums or associated parts or a Failure has occured.ALL valve train components must be replaced.This includes the Rocker fulcrum pedestal. 1 Kit consists of a New pedestal and rockerarm assy.Which are only to be replaced ONE at a time when doing the proceedure so the Headgasket seal is not compromised.I would question your Ford hotline on this

I have done them all on several VT'S when I found Bad ones while replaceing the Branch tube along with a bunch of Uptime stuff they threw in with the Failed branch tube..Have Fun getting the Drivers side Valvecover off in the UP's Tk.Unless things have changed you need to take out a piece of the floor LOL....UP's vans are Bad But I have had Much worse Applications than them with 365 work.Turbos and STC fitting are a breeze in the UPS vans compared to a regular International cab configuration.If you have to do the waterfilter installation on the UPS Tk.It must be mounted on the Pass side frame rail.They send you Instructions for drivers side mount.Aint gonna happen with the steering box there.They may have revised this and sent the right info.Not that you cant figure it out yourself. But They tend to complicate things sometimes.Also if you do a softgear recall on the rear geartrain.Make sure they know if the tk has Airbrakes or Not .Or they will send you the wrong PS/Fuelpump setup.I have gotten alot of Uptime parts packages that were All screwed up.

The water filter kit comes with pieces of 2 ft hoses that are expected to reach 5 ft, no hardware for the brackets, (a pain because the parts dept. doesn't have metric frame bolts to fit the crossmemeber). I did two of the valve train updates in the past two weeks in the UPS chassis and one left side cylinder head gasket. The head wasn't bad to do once the floor was out. You can remove the valve cover without removing the floor, you just can't get the head bolts out with the floor in.

The water filter kit comes with pieces of 2 ft hoses that are expected to reach 5 ft, no hardware for the brackets, (a pain because the parts dept. doesn't have metric frame bolts to fit the crossmemeber). I did two of the valve train updates in the past two weeks in the UPS chassis and one left side cylinder head gasket. The head wasn't bad to do once the floor was out. You can remove the valve cover without removing the floor, you just can't get the head bolts out with the floor in.

You are one of the few that I have heard of doing Headgaskets in a VT.We have only only done 2 in 5yrs.Most of our customers fleet tks with 365's also get the !@#!?$! beat out of them daily.That I know is fact.

Well, I not only had to take a piece of the floor out, I had to cut an additional strip out of it! This truck had a different style body than the ones that I am used to seeing the vt in. Had a 2 inch flange running right along the headbolts. I put in a support in case the flange being gone compromised the floor in any way.

Talk about a pita trying to torque the bolts then swing them an additional 270 degrees like the instructions say.

Well, I not only had to take a piece of the floor out, I had to cut an additional strip out of it! This truck had a different style body than the ones that I am used to seeing the vt in. Had a 2 inch flange running right along the headbolts. I put in a support in case the flange being gone compromised the floor in any way.

Talk about a pita trying to torque the bolts then swing them an additional 270 degrees like the instructions say.

I believe you, that is where the Normal floor structure ends and the Extension piece to the doghouse starts..While I have never pulled a Head off a VT in a UPS van.I have always had to take the left side hunk of floor out to get the V/C off, there was No other way.All the UPS that I have seen Have the ECM mounted on the R/side V/C.While the Normal International applications with 365's the ECM is mounted on the L/side.

On the UPS chassis you can remove the valve cover on the left side if you slightly bend the flange under the floor out of the way a 1/4". This will allow you to remove the high pressure oil manifold and an injector but not a head bolt. Its not the most professional procedure but you can save a ton of time on it.

I ended up removing the head on the UPS VT365 not because it was bad but because another tech was doing an EGR cooler, and a rear gear train update and found that the engine would not bar over to allow him to remove the torque convertor bolts after he did the EGR cooler. I ended up with the job and found a piece of metal that didn't appear to be from the engine or its accessories sitting on top of #8 piston. For the first one in a UPS van it wasn't that bad, took about 10hrs.

• 4 weeks later...

I just finished fixing my first 6.0 with broken rockers. Both of them were broke on #3 cylinder. Hotline said to replace the head because the valves had to be sticking and they can't be serviced (has anybody had these rebuilt or are they unserviceable?). Pulled head and one exhaust valve was sticking but never touched the piston.

We had an Econoline a few years ago with a severe case of "lot rot" that had stuck valves. But it did sit for about 9 months or so without being started... Don't ask me why...

You guys ever hear of a valve body hone? Well they make them and they come in different sizes as you could imagine. Back in the day when 7.3's were still in production we seemed to have a year where valves were sticking. We even had one come off the truck popping out the intake. I fixed a few with new valves and a light cleaning of the valve guides with the hone. Worked perfectly.

amazingly enough I've only had one 6.0L with a rocker arm issue. it was a brand new 03 550 with 3 miles on it came off the truck missing I found one exhaust rocker bridge off It looked to be just fine so I popped it back on and never had a problem with it.. go figure? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

• 2 months later...

Revisited... 25K later with a rocker arm broken on a different cylinder (8 this time, was 4 last time). Hotline is now telling me to replace the head, lifters, rocker arms and push rods on that bank... see how this goes...