7.3L Driveability Problems Abound

Rate this topic

Am I the only one seeing a disturbing amount of driveability problems with 7.3L'S? Mostly new trucks... ignition misfires... engine noises, PCMs, and now crank sensors/circuit faults.  Now dealing with a new F350 with metallic debris on the CKP. Waiting for HotLine to respond on that one.

• 2 weeks later...

I now have THREE of these in the shop now developing valve concerns All new trucks with less than 200 miles on them. Here is a cylinder leak down test performed on the first truck. 100% loss blowing straight out of the throttle body.

It pays to speak with an engineer - was on a call about one of these with CKP issues and asked about the other trucks I have. He mentioned known issues with spark plug wires and valvetrain concerns... I have yet to see either SSM and he did state they are not coming up for 2021 trucks. No shit. And now... #4 intake and #8 exhaust valve broken on one truck with 105 miles. Fucking elegant. One good note on this is that you can have both valve covers off in less than 10 minutes.  5 minutes if you  are "that guy!" 

broken spring 3.jpg

We’ve only sold a handful, no issues-yet. My FSE was in yesterday for a 6.2 that had an engine fire with like 500 miles on it. Long story lol. But anyways we got to talking and he was telling me he just swapped from hotline to FSE and that the 7.3’s are having some major growing pains, especially in the valvetrain.

And then there is this 7.3L CKP sensor installation - 123 miles of hard starting, CEL and Wrench Light, running rough.  Burn this image into your heads as it is really easy to do this even for the factory.  :cover:

Mis-Aligned-CKP.jpg

• 1 month later...

Will have to keep an eye on these issues. So far in our fleet we only have 1 7.3 in a F550. Coming up on its first oil change shortly and has been problem free so far. 

Really hopping for success with this engine. Trying to get away from the diesels in certain applications where its really not needed. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got one with a knocking noise. 2100 miles on a 21. Pulled the valve covers just for giggles. Didn’t find anything out of place. Went to submit a hotline request and I found a previous request that talks about a cracked oil pump drive gear. Waiting to pull the oil pan to verify. 

• 8 months later...

Hey Guys:  I'm doing a 7.3 class soon and need more case studies, stories and pictures.  Does anyone have anything they'd like to post or share?  I'm happy to pay for anything I can use in class. Old parts would be great if warranty didn't want them back.

Thanks!

On 9/20/2021 at 9:32 PM, forddieseldoctor said:

I got one with a knocking noise. 2100 miles on a 21. Pulled the valve covers just for giggles. Didn’t find anything out of place. Went to submit a hotline request and I found a previous request that talks about a cracked oil pump drive gear. Waiting to pull the oil pan to verify. 

Found the oil pump drive gear was cracked. Haven’t seen anything else. 

164CCF71-5A6F-4A07-BE68-B68D2AC59A5A.jpeg

Go for it. I got the info from a previous hotline request. So there’s gotta be at least one more out there that did it. Funny thing is they use the same gear for the timing chain and the oil pump. And only the oil pump broke.