First injector failure on a 6.4

Rate this topic

only 114 miles, customer drove it for half a day then had a cold start knock and misfire. turns out its a fuel knock with contribution code for cylinder 3. however the miss and knock go away when hot and it drives fine. The short fuel trim for cylinder 3 is -18% while the others are around +/- 5%. I cold started it this morning and all was well for about 5minutes then it started running like crap and having its fuel knock again. powerbalance was all over the board, fuel trims all over the board and FRP when from a normal 5000psi idle to a 3000 erratic reading. I then also got a P0087 FRP circuit low code. I assume from the drop in fuel pressure. I have been talking with Bob Boumann(sp?) from international on this issue. he advised I replace the injector for #3 and go from there. i could also be having a problem with the PVC or VOC. I hope this isnt a sign of things to come. I should have an injector tomorrow, actually we ordered 16 for stock. It comes with a fuel line with the injector so thats a plus.

I ripped the right side valve cover off, not too bad. I thought it would be worse. I am not looking forward to the left side tho!

Quote:
I have been talking with Bob Boumann(sp?) from international on this issue...

That's surprising, but you couldn't ask for a better guy to help you. Bob Baumann is the "top tech" in Nav's Reliability department. When the tech support folks encounter a tough problem, they go to Bob for help. And the guys in Reliability are all competent, or better-than-average.

What's surprising is that Reliability even got involved. They are not typically the group that answers Ford dealer problems directly. Nav has another group for those issues.

- Jay

I get to change both turbos and the exhaust system on the first truck we sold with the 6.4. Went 350kms total - cust was driving it home from delivery when it got low on power, then real hot, and then flames from the exhaust.Engineer asked me to do a couple of tests and then told me what parts to order. Maybe needs a stove after turbos fixed?? wtf?

I kinda chuckled in disbelief about flames shooting out the tailpipes.. that is until he showed me the pictures he took of it!!!

Current score = 1 sold/1 broken bad

"I may need more 2 post lifts boss,LOTS more..."

Quote:
I have been talking with Bob Boumann(sp?) from international on this issue...

That's surprising, but you couldn't ask for a better guy to help you. Bob Baumann is the "top tech" in Nav's Reliability department. When the tech support folks encounter a tough problem, they go to Bob for help. And the guys in Reliability are all competent, or better-than-average.

What's surprising is that Reliability even got involved. They are not typically the group that answers Ford dealer problems directly. Nav has another group for those issues.

- Jay

he actually called us after we ordered parts. I enjoyed dealing with him. very knowlegable and helpful

Quote:
I kinda chuckled in disbelief about flames shooting out the tailpipes.. that is until he showed me the pictures he took of it!!!

I'd find it hard to believe, too, unless I saw the pics/flames. Any chance he'd email them to you! I know some "folks" who wouldn't mind seeing them! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

- Jay

ok he sent it to me. Taken at night with a camera phone, pulled over to side of road, so excuse the quality.

LOOKS LIKE A HELL OF A WEENIE ROASTER /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/banghead.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crybaby2.gif

Posted Image

Not tryimg to steal your fame for the pic Rickster42, Just thought it would be better served here! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

got it together this morning. not too bad of a job really. jut had to keep checking the book to verify my torque and steps on installing it. I am kinda of leary tho, my fuel trim is still in the negative around 15%. i figured it would take care of it with the new injector. Its seems to run ok and i dont get my contribution code back. the exhuast was full of fuel however, dripping from muffler. i had to run it for about 15minutes to clean it out. crankcase isnt full tho, i have been keeping an eye on it. It passes the fuel system test too. I will cold start again in the morning and call Bob back with my findings.

the fire is cool! old hotrod trick. too bad mine dosent blow flames!

About the negative fuel trim, did you reset the KAM? I just finished my 6.4 classroom training, and it seems that they couldn't express the importance of resetting the KAM after fuel system repairs enough.

Holy moly... I hope this isn't the kind of thing that might be common.

I can only guess how badly this could flush Ford's name if someone fires their truck up in the driveway and lets it warm up for a bit, only to come back out and see that their truck just incinerated the car parked next to it.

Opaa!!!

Dave

It's a lovely fall day and the kiddies are looking forward to the Halloween promenade all across America... Look at that! A truck is setting the leaves on fire all the way down the road!!! The sounds of children screaming and fire trucks whining fill the air as terror fills the streets of Small Town U.S.A.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/popcorn.gif

Had a truck come in for an exhaust leak and smell in the cab. Got the leak fixed and roadtested the truck. While accelerating uphill rpm's pegged the guage, and smoke filled the air around me before the truck came to a stop along the road. Thank god for roadside assistance! Towed back to shop and found that the cac cooler is actually a holding tank for roughly 10 litres of a fuel and oil mixture; must be a new feature for '08. All this at 4 on a friday afternoon, what a way to start the weekend!

At least the customer only had for less than 24 hours, probably not used to the truck yet so maybe he won't miss it for a few days until its fixed. I bet he's wishing he bought the white one instead of the black one !

Oh, well , i guess this is called job security

You damn Canadians and your Liters. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

That's a good one though, we had a tech cause a runaway after forgetting to drain the CAC after he "flushed" one out with brake-cleaner and forgot to drain what was left inside.

Did you find out where all the !@#!?$! in the CAC even came from??

Dave

not yet, at 4 oclock on a friday i felt my time would be best spent in the line up at the local beer store!!

I suspect an injector issue ( go figure ), but i will look deeper on monday unless I find a new job in the meantime! i will keep you posted.

On the bright side, this engine is "supposed" to not be able to run-away. The EGR throttle plate is "supposed" to close when the engine goes overspeed and shut the bad-boy down.

Good God.

In a brutal twist of events, I'm watching TV and that "Extreme Makeover Home Edition" show comes on. Some poor family basically had a plane crash into their house and it burned completely to the ground... the problem was that they were in the middle of a re-finance and the insurance wasn't quite settled, and they basically lost everything they owned to the fire.

So, theguys show up, build 'em a badass new house... andthey give one of the family members a new 6.4 F-450 dually. Pimp-!@#!?$! truck.

All I can think about at this time is that picture of torch flame blowing out the pipes on this truck and this guy burning his new gift of a house down again with the truck that was given to him to help get life back on track, lol...

(Yeah, it's in Florida or something so he doesn't need to warm it up, but still...)

Dave

I am kinda of leary tho, my fuel trim is still in the negative around 15%.

The IDS SFT identifies the wrong cylinders. My guess is they were thinking "Ford" cylinder numbering. Power Balance shows the correct firing order.