V BAND CLAMPS

Rate this topic

OK I know this sounds like a stupid question for an experienced guy to ask, But what do you guys use to get the v band clamps off the exhaust inlet and outlet of the turbo? I had one today that gave me one hell of a time it wouldn't pop off and I was thinking the there must be a better way.

I thought we agreed the only stupid question was the one that is not asked? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/boink3.gif

I remember a thread from quite a while ago about this and had some good replies! I personally use Mopar rust penetrant because that is what I have around... it works just dandy. I still get a kick out of hearing that "ping" when the clamp pops loose!

CLICKIE HERE!

I use my air hammer with an air hammer head in it that is about one inch in diameter. Just a pull of the trigger on the face of the band around the v-clamp and it jumps right off the pipe. Doesn't damage the clamp either. If you use a punch or chisel in the air hammer, you will make a mess of the clamp. No need for penetrating fluid either. Just a little rappity rap and whala.....snap. I think I will start a new topic about quick tricks for sick litres.

Give them a good squirt of Motorcraft penetrating oil (NOT WD40) and wait 'til you hear the sweet sound of the clamp releasing itself....

Jim i didnt believe that til i tried it. Other diesel tech didnt either. Works 90% of the time, thanks for that tip, i usually fight with em.

I never really had a problem with those clamps. I just use a small snap on screw driver to pop it apart.

I will try just spraying pennetrationg oil on the clamp as suggested just for curiosity.

Thanks.

I usually used a long thin screwdriver and kinda wedged it into the space between the clamp and pipe and whacked it with a hammer but I'm going to try both the penetrating oil and air hammer tips. Approx how long till you hear the "sweet sound" of the clamp ?

Usually by the time I put the spray bomb on the work bench - occasionally, they will "play 'possum" and wait for you to climb up there with screwdriver in hand.

It's not an exact science... but then neither is the 6.0 engine management system /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

yeah its quick. I like spraying them. makes life easy. spray it and forget. it will either pop off or as soon as you loosen one bolt on the turbo they pop off.

well I had the chance to try the tips today.

I opened the hood and soaked the piss out of the clamps first thing then worked my way to the clamp nuts.

the down pipe didn't budge /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif but 1/3 of the y-pipe popped loose as soon as I loosened the nut. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif So I got the air hammer out and one brap each had them off! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Never again will I be brought to the point of throwing stuff /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smhair.gif in frustration from a v band clamp

• 2 weeks later...

I never thought of using penetrate before. I read this post and tried it yesterday and was blown away. I used to fiddle fudge around with these crazy things but not anymore. Both clamps popped loose while I was still spraying them. I started chuckling, thinking of the simplicity of the whole thing after looking back at previous methods. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

• 5 weeks later...

flmmaz i remember the first time i tried it 6 months ago. I was like " yea, like thats going to work" and 15 sec later... PING... i was like holy crap. Also, (dont want to highjack the thread) use a 17mm turbo socket to loosen the rear turbo bolt on a early 03 if the 10mm part is stripped. That is a life saver.