Computers in Your Shop & Toolbox

Rate this topic

Now that FMC Dealer is so valuable as a tool with all the manuals, TSB's and FSA's and the like I can't imagine working without a computer. I have a nice notebook PC in my toolbox with Internet access as do most of the techs in my shop which we all paid for on our own. I have read that other dealers won't even provide Internet access or even provide one shop computer. I can't imagine! Posted Image

About 5 years ago we got an Internet connection at the dealer I worked at and I new then a computer would be the tool to have

I really don’t understand why a dealer would not allow a tech to have his own computer on his box after all I bet he has one to do his work

i have had a laptop on my box for over a year now. i got it for 2 reasons, i was tired of waiting for the lone shop computer and i was also getting ready for future diagnosis tools knowing WDS is on its way out in the next year or so. i dont know what i would do without a computer now.

I remember talk about each tech having his own computer back in '97-'98. Ofcourse nothing came of it. I remember being told WDS would be LAPTOP! HA!

I got out in '01, and still had not seen anything that resembled a computer, but when I came to my current employer, much to my surprise, each tech had his own terminal, and they had for years.

I guess it all depends on how motivated your shop and principal is.

Having my own terminal, I can't imagine ever working w/o one ever again.

We have 2 computers per group (6 Groups in the shop counting quick service, 4 techs per group), but only half of them are new enough to run online. We have talked with the SM and GM about getting computers for each box, but they are too cheap, and A-Nation corporate won't buy them either.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I keep the current manuals on my hard drive (o need for the DVDs). Our server is plugged (so they tell me) and I have no internet acess othe than the shop computer.

I initially bought my laptop because there is, all too often, a line up at the shop terminal. Now, there is, sometimes, a line up at my toolbox.

Solve one problem and create two more... sounds like my daily job...

Quote:
Our server is plugged (so they tell me) and I have no Internet access other than the shop computer.
Jim, All your MIS people have to do is add a hub that runs from one port on the server and they can even make it wireless! Wireless in the the shop is great because everybody can connect, no cables to mess with and if you have a laptop you can move around with it. If the one computer in your shop has a network connection then all you need is to get a wireless hub and plug it in there. They are cheap now. Fortunately, I have both in the shop. It is a crying shame that you have a PC in your bay and no access to FMC Dealer. EVERYTHING is right there where you need it. I think you need to rough somebody up! Posted Image

My newest laptop has the wireless card built in... works well at home (for an old geezer, I have too many computers... 3 laptops and a desktop all networked).

I will leave the full server as a standing excuse since we have a distinct security probem with the SBTS. A lot of the guys aren't as PC literate as they could be and our system is constantly on the verge of spyware/adware/virus overload. If they opened te network to me, they could expose the network to needless risk by the next request.

I can abide that decision but it would be real nice if we could have a wireless VCM plugged into the DLC and the ability to position my laptop where I want/need.

Everyone else in our shop is waiting for the dealership to buy them a PC without any thought as to their utility NOW. They're not really spendy (as you already know)and just having one for our personal needs is a bonus.

I do wish I had the added connectivity but I shudder when I see what is left behind on the shop computer.

Quote:
I do wish I had the added connectivity but I shudder when I see what is left behind on the shop computer.
If your security worries are directly related to the surfing habits of your coworkers, there are ways to stop it. My company has a firewall and each employee has a log-in that they must use to access ANYTHING. The firewall has filters and the administrator can also customize restrictions for each employee's log-in individually. What's more, you can set up your shop PC with an administrator and separate log-on accounts. From there the administrator of that PC can restrict each and very user's web browser all the way down to allowing access to just one web site like FMCDealer.com. You log once a day and the only site used is the Ford site which will also cut down on a lot of time wasting. Posted Image

The pool gets pretty muddy up here in Liberal Canada.... People will trot out every excuse in the book to avoid logging on to the shop computer as individuals. We have a lot of personal (and personnell) dynamics in the shop that are slowing us down.

My next step is to suggest a high speed connection in my bay free of our LAN. At leats I can access OASIS and even do instant messaging to parts and serivce without breaching security. Problem is that everyone else will want a company bought laptop to tae advantage of this sort of thing.

If I can work through this problem, I'll be sure to let you know.

• 1 month later...

DUDE! I got a Dell! Inspiron 2200 and I upgraded the screen to 15". I was using an old IBM with a 12 inch screen. Whoooo hooo! I can read wiring diagrams now without scrolling or squinting. Having your own computer in the bay is definately tha way to go.