Oldest or Least Used Tool?

Rate this topic

I was cleaning out a drawer recently and came across an old pneumatic SPEEDOMETER CABLE grease tool and the stupid thing still had grease in it! This qualifies as a useless tool and pretty much unused for sure. When was the last time you saw a speedo cable anyway? With the exception of some socket sets and wrenches, it also qualified as one of my oldest tools. I tossed it!

Can anybody top that?

I have several old "tappet" wrenchs.... back in the good old days, flat head motors would have adjustable cam followers that required very thin wrenchs.... I guard these with my life and the get resurrected with regularity.

Still got some old 19/32 and 21/32 sockets around too. Then there's the tool for adjusting dwell on the GM distributor, A VV carb tool set and some old, old specialty tools for the old Honda S600 sports car.

I rarely throw anything away... a fact that my loving bride brings up often...

I have a very old 'squeeze' type generator flash light given to me by my Grand Father. He used to drive truck and used it for on road repairs/inspection.. Handy 'and' useless little light, that can and will 'severely' cramp your forearm/s with extended use, but could potentially build you a set of arms like Popeye in a VERY short time.. Used it a few times, and thought it may come in handy in a natural disaster ect. or 'Maybe' when all my other 5 or so shop hand helds fail!! Problem is, that if you use it long enough (and you DO have to continually pump it) not only do you ache with pain, but can't aim it any longer either as you try and pull enough power through it to 'just' light the bulb to a useable candlepower.. Then try and turn a wrench.... Sure..

BTW Ford Doc.. I had one of those old S/cable greasers in new condition and sold it on eBay!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have an original Super Star Tester II! It's a little beat up but it should still work. I bought it used and it was already out dated at the time because the NGS had just come out. Posted Image I only used it to set FIPL switches on 7.3 idi's with E4OD trannies. It has been buried and unused probably since 1995! Posted Image

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

gee! my useless flathead tappet wrenches just came in handie. my 53 f100 just got a nice fresh .060 over bore and a crank, rods piston set for a 51 merc. which means a 239 flatie bored and stroked to 261 cube's. offie 8.0 to 1 heads and a 2x2 3 bolt holly intake.

boy does that sound and smell better the a doesel.

• 5 months later...

i know this is a old thread but some of us that at or near retirement or even as me have done so. have some tools floating around and knowage that some of these young kids will never see or hear about.

it was funny as i had a phone call today by a guy who got my name and number and asked .i have a 48 ford flat head and understand you have the tools and knowage to put it back together . would you and how much?

darn i know i could make some fast cash but said to him bring it and akid to my home that is going into mechanics . both of you do the lifting i can't do and i'll build you the motor so some young guy can do so later on when the time of us older guys is no more.

jeppers we look at our old tools taking up space. but when we did use them . how much did they teach us and make us. they are not junk they are time vaults of mechanics showing what we did before computers and fuel injection.

how many of us still have a old t bar torqe wrench floating around that is still as good as our clickers.

whats my oldest tool my brains whats left of them.

Okay guy's, I may not have that old of tools but I still have the old Mobil oil cans and the spouts,( I think I still have 12 or 13 cans of sae 30 left ) I also have 6 R-12 recharge kits, the ones that came with the 6oz. can of oil charge,16oz can of R-12 and the charging hose.

Larry, you should hold onto that stuff and sell it to an automotive museum some day. Jeez - I can't remember the last time I saw an "oil can" but as a kid I saw many shiny cans magically floating over the engine of Dad's Fury III at fuel stops. When we was younguns Mom and Dad used to hitch-up the ol camper and cruise around the country. Strapped tightly in the middle of the front seat I could just see the floating cans dancing between the dash and the bottom of the raised hood. Posted Image

Fury III? Let me guess a "73". Talk about memories. When I was a young pup I would get myself and 10-12 of my buddies stuffed in the car and also the trunk and go to the drive-in. A couple of times got caught sneeking people in the trunk, most of the time not. As for the oil/R-12 I think I'll hold on to them, Might find another Fury III.

• 1 year later...

Wow...old thread resurrected.... I have a nearly full set of Whitworth.... I have tappet wrenches... distributor wrenches.... carburettor adjusting tools out the ying... my venerable point adjusting tool for GM.... a VV carb tool kit.... and my dwell gauge.... and Gawd knows what I'm overlooking.

One of these days. you young'uns will be able to look in your "toyboxes" and see semi-useless old junk... an IDS that can't comm with the latest and greatest, maybe.... or a rad hose clamp tool that wont work on something that doesn't have a cooling system....

Whatevcer you do... don't get rid of that old "junk"... I regularly find that old tools can be ressurected for new uses....

Quote:
Whatevcer you do... don't get rid of that old "junk"... I regularly find that old tools can be ressurected for new uses....

Well what do you do with the old hoses for the do it yourself ac(R12) recharge kits that were out before they were considered bad for the enviroment???? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif I've got 3 of them in my box.

Keith I could use your cable greaser,the cable in my 91 mustang started making noise today. Same as Jim some 21/32 sockets, my 1/4 drive set still has the steel box it came in, from late 50's early 60's, inherited from my dad. A super star II, some Vlchek combo wrenches that are from the 20's.