One-piece STC fitting

Rate this topic

I was at our roundtable last week, and i asked the international engineer about the one-piece STC fitting that bruce showed us a picture of. He didnt know what i was talking about and wanted me to send him a picture of it. I sent him one and today he sent me a response saying

"Tony,

This fitting did go into production for the 6.0L 2008 E-series and the LCF 4.5L V-6.

V8 break: The ESN break was 431736 on 2/9/07.

V6 break: The ESN break was 431705 on 2/8/07.

It is also suppose to replace the current STC bracket kit for service."

So there it is gentalmen, straight from the horses mouth.

But oddly, this engineer from International had no idea what you were talking about. Interesting. I am glad that you are hearing of things and learning from this forum. Is the round table you mention "the round table" from Ford?

... and thank you for the update on the STC fitting! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

... and is this confidential info? I might like to post a quick article on the fitting. This kind of stuff is good for the DTS site and brings attention to to the site.

... and, of course, I would also need Bruce's blessing to use the photo.

... and, of course, I would also need Bruce's blessing to use the photo.

Of course you can use the picture! /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

The part number for the STC update kit with this new fitting is IH p/n 1879930c91. I don't think FMC has it available yet. I would think you guys would get the info before I would.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry for taking so long to reply, Keith. No, there is no Ford part number available as of yet for this kit. After seeing this post about the availability of this part, curiosity got the better of me so I went out to the nearest Navistar store to purchase it. Included in the kit is everything that I've laid out in the photo post. I was going to post it, but I don't know how to add photos in posts. I'm not computer literate LOL. Speaking of Navistar, I priced out some parts from them for a retail job just for comparison purposes, and noticed the prices are actually more expensive than they are from Ford. Anyone else noticed that too?

Sorry for taking so long to reply, Keith. No, there is no Ford part number available as of yet for this kit. After seeing this post about the availability of this part, curiosity got the better of me so I went out to the nearest Navistar store to purchase it. Included in the kit is everything that I've laid out in the photo post. I was going to post it, but I don't know how to add photos in posts. I'm not computer literate LOL.

Go to PhotoPost and open the picture. At the bottom of the screen is a big button that says, "Copy to Clipboard". Press this button. Open a post, or respond to a post and right click with your mouse and select, "Paste", or use Control/V on your keyboard. It will post a link to the picture and the pic will now be in the post. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbup.gif

Speaking of Navistar, I priced out some parts from them for a retail job just for comparison purposes, and noticed the prices are actually more expensive than they are from Ford. Anyone else noticed that too?

I agree. It used to be the other way around, but things are changing. Sometimes IH is cheaper than FMC, sometimes it's the other way around. I tell people to price both.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I had the pleasure of installing one of these new kits today. I thought it was a bit more difficult vs the snap together + bracket design. It requires you to measure the depth of the STC joint with a gauge bar, install the pump, install one stc joint ot branch tube bolt, then install a tool (anti rotational tool) that threads into the other branch tube to joint hole. Then use the flare nut socket to torque it. The flare nut socket does not fit due to the casting of the block on one side. This required me to grind the socket to fit. The torque spec is 53 ft/lbs. The anti rotational tool bent. A couple more times and I am sure it will break. A one foot bar attatched to a 4mm ? bolt that is threaded into the branch tube. Of course the bolt section is going to bend at 53 ft/lbs. The instructions also tell you to bend the branch tube to make it fit.

Just dont use the rear eng cover as a fulcrum against which to pry - they can crack easily...ask my co-worker how he knows /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif

Hotline told us u CANNOT bend the branch tube back. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Then what's their decision, change the branch tube on all of them? That's hard to believe. I bet that was ONE guy at Hotline, not their general consensus.

IH says to bend the branch tube back. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rolleyes.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Bruce, I dont know anymore...LoL...its a lost battle in the Ford Diesel world..you call hotline one guys says "to-may-to" ...the other says..no way its "to-mah-to." Then you call back and the third guy says " what the heck are those 2 talking bout...its "Po-tay-to."" then warranty gets a hold of it and /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/readthis.gif /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hitthefan.gif....

And Bruce i was talking about when they blow through the cover...not all the time

I've had two in a row now that had the heads of the bolts shear off the stc/branch tube when the fitting broke and the bracket slammed into the flywheel housing. They are cast iron on the IH, bit stronger than the aluminum that you guys see.

• 3 months later...

Yeah, the new kit is PN# 4C3Z-9B246-C "ICP Fitting Kit".

It looks like you should be able to get 9.1 hours for an F-series STC fitting when claiming the proper labor ops - and there are a lot of them.

This TSB supersedes the old high-pressure diagnostic TSB I think, it has updated times for everything.

Basically, it looks like you will get 4.2 hours for high-pressure diagnostics (labor ops A and E) and then any associated part replacement on top of that (so an F-series pays 4.9 for the nwe fitting, plus the diag ops)

There are seperate labor ops for replacing injectors causing ICP leaks, Branch tubes, everything... actually looks like it'll pay out more than the old TSB did. (For example, you can now get 19.9 for a branch tube on an F-series instead of the ABSURD 14-something from before.)

Dave

I'm currently right in the middle of a STC fitting job and I'm also replacing a couple D rings too. The vehicle came in yesterday when the TSB came out. Will Ford bounce the claim if I put the old STC fitting in the truck? Are parts avail. yet?