One-piece STC fitting

Rate this topic

I have had one of the bracket style fittings break on me. The orings just blew out even though it did not seperate. I dont think that there is much wrong with the bracket style but I like the looks of this new on better. I have a truck torn down right now waiting for the new kit.

Well I ended up putting the 2 piece fitting on the pump. The truck was torn apart in my stall, the parts dept. wants to get rid of theese 2 piece kits and they tell me that nobody has the new design yet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

Well I ended up putting the 2 piece fitting on the pump. The truck was torn apart in my stall, the parts dept. wants to get rid of theese 2 piece kits and they tell me that nobody has the new design yet. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shrug.gif

That makes me mad when they do that. They always try to get rid of shit on car's im working on, and I always argue with them that I want the updated part.

I hear ya. I didn't want to tie up my stall, the customer needs thier work truck back, and I'm confident that he won't have any problems with the 2 piece set-up with the bracket.

• 2 months later...

I don't really like the new one piece fitting, because when you try and torque the jam nut the plastic holding bracket flexes and the fitting ends up turned alittle. I just happened to have an old kit and used the metal bracket and some real bolts not the plastic stuff they give you. I've done 2 of the new style fittings this way and it seems to work a lot better.

Yeah I discovered the steel bracket works good as a tool too. Had the same problem with the plastic tool you get. The fitting turns a little when torquing I guess an old bracket should go on that home made tools list

You figure, instead of using the steel bracket as a guide, someone had to design the plastic piece, get a die made for the press and start a whole nother tooling job just to make a tool that fails? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

All they needed was to keep giving us the bracket to use as a guide

Hey tony, its nick. just wanted to see what was going on seeing as this dts window is open constantly over here and i figured id say hi. Hey you gonna go to markys show on the 18?

Damn right, are you guys going? I have a whole book of TSB's printed out for Dave L so he doesn't have to use this site decreasing head scratching and downtime for marks rack (the trucks DAVE L puts on them /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/hammer2.gif

pretty sure i should make it, its ona friday and i do have to work in the morning but its only in harvard so im down.belive it or not hes only using one of his two racks right now, but its for a comeback so hes not really in anybody elses way....yet.

no different truck, 6.0l came in with a turbo problem i think, so he pulled the trans out to make it easier then upsold a rear main seal and it came back just pissing oil all over, ended up being the high pressure oil pump cover gasket which he also replaced.

Dave here, to clarify this clusterfuck before Nick makes this place look like a stew of baffling morons...

Truck came in with a Hot NO-Start, which I found was due to low cranking ICP when the EOT was hot. Only built 350psi.. No audible air leaks found, hotline recommends replaceing the STC fitting. So I did. Tested the truck, problem was still there. I took the liberty of yanking the dummy plug out of the left bank and sure enough, the lower O-ring was shot. Replaced, fixed the no-start condition. Noticed the rear main was leaking, so I replaced that as well after the no-start was fixed.

Truck came back a week later (yesterady) with oil EVERYWHERE, and puddled up inside the bellhousing too. Couldn't see any signs of leakage from up top, so I pulled the trans assuming the new rear main was botched up. But, once the trans was out, I found the rear main to be dry. With the trans out I was able to see that it was the HPOP cover that was leaking. Took it all apart assuming I'd see some bonehead mistake like no RTV or a loose bolt of something but it turns out that everything looks cherry, I can't find anything wrong with the cover, the O-ring, the block, everything was tight & RTV'd... for whatever reason it was just leaking from about 3 inches from the rear of the engine on the bank 1 side.

Replaced the HPOP cover seal again and I'm hoping that fixes it!

(Holy thread Hijack)

Dave

Dave here, to clarify this clusterfuck before Nick makes this place look like a stew of baffling morons...

Truck came in with a Hot NO-Start, which I found was due to low cranking ICP when the EOT was hot. Only built 350psi.. No audible air leaks found, hotline recommends replaceing the STC fitting. So I did. Tested the truck, problem was still there. I took the liberty of yanking the dummy plug out of the left bank and sure enough, the lower O-ring was shot. Replaced, fixed the no-start condition. Noticed the rear main was leaking, so I replaced that as well after the no-start was fixed.

Truck came back a week later (yesterady) with oil EVERYWHERE, and puddled up inside the bellhousing too. Couldn't see any signs of leakage from up top, so I pulled the trans assuming the new rear main was botched up. But, once the trans was out, I found the rear main to be dry. With the trans out I was able to see that it was the HPOP cover that was leaking. Took it all apart assuming I'd see some bonehead mistake like no RTV or a loose bolt of something but it turns out that everything looks cherry, I can't find anything wrong with the cover, the O-ring, the block, everything was tight & RTV'd... for whatever reason it was just leaking from about 3 inches from the rear of the engine on the bank 1 side.

Replaced the HPOP cover seal again and I'm hoping that fixes it!

(Holy thread Hijack)

Dave

Dave put a motor in it.....that's what bill would have done. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/drinkingdude.gif

Quote:
6.0l came in with a turbo problem i think, so he pulled the trans out to make it easier
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

Quote:
/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

I'm glad you straightened that out, I thought they might be givin you too long a lunch break and having to retrain you constantly over there. /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif