tIME TO KILL AN OLD 6.9?

Rate this topic

Skidonenko

I picked up a 85' 250 with a 6.9L, milage="rolled the odometer a couple times" for $400. Relaced the fuel lines and it busted right off. Ive been driving it for a couple months on atf 50/50 diesel to atf 75/25 diesel. What are some tell tale signs the injecton pump is going out? It idles alot smoother on the atf that straight diesel. Also I was able to find a compression gauge adapter and came up with 300 psi cold while cranking.

Is this thing on the downward slide? The truck is not really worth an engine but if the engine will hold up another year or 2 Ill hang onto it.

Josh

p.s. I was 4 when this truck was built /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/icon_crazy.gif

+1 Run 'er till she don't go no more. If it makes you feel any better I was 1 when it was built. Actually, maybe not even born if it went into service in Sep/oct of 84

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/laugh.gif

Sounds good, at this point im into it another $300 or so with 7.3 glow plugs (only one worked, and the relay is connected to a button) master cylinder, a ujoint, and a steering gear. one of the main users of the trans fluid just got rid of his truck and its getting warmer so 100% might be on the way.

300 psi cold while cranking.

It's definitely on the downhill side. A tight motor gives 450, 350 is borderline, anything under that is bad.

Keep your investment low and run it till it won't run. I bet it wouldn't start in a "real" climate.

Good Luck!

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

sound like my old 90 7.3. it has 250,000 miles on it, looks like hell. did a compression test about a year ago and it was 295-325. It burns a bout a gallon of oil in 1500 miles. I plug it in from october 1 to may 1 or it wont start. But when its running it runs good, great mileage(prolly from all the oil it burns), still pulls like an animal. I figured a year ago that I might get another couple months out of it and than it would be done for. Still running strong. Gotta love the old mechanicals. I have several of these pick-ups for parts an what not so it doesnt really cost me anything to own. Run her till it blows. The old 7.3s are still my favorite to work on.

• 2 weeks later...