oil in exhaust

Rate this topic

Hey guys newbie here, and new in general.Just finished up Asset program a little while ago.Since no one in my shop likes or wants to work on diesels i am the new diesel guy.I got one in today an f-450 conversion.It was blowing white smoke had no coolant in the jug and when i pulled it up in front of my bay it died. Went to try and fire it up and it cranked then sounded like it started to hydro lock so i stopped. I looked under the vehicle and oil was coming out of the little condensation oil in the muffler.It left a decent sized puddle.The next thing i did was check the oil and the dipstick was dry. My guess is head gaskets but found no signs around the heads externally. Any help would be appreciated..... Glad to be part of the site!

Hey Rob, welcome to the DTS. I think you just encountered your first EGR cooler failure and it sounds like it went bad in a big way. What looks like oil dripping out of the exhaust is the coolant that was in the engine. It looks black because of the soot in the exhaust system. Scroll down the 6.oL engine forum and you should find a few topics on this including the one where we all bitch about the newest TSB...

Absolutely listen to everyone here and use the TSB to aid in your diag here, but I'd also recommend you'd remove the EGR valve from the intake and have a look inside - what you see may surprise you!

Not to undermine anyone's responses here but this is something you'll become more acquainted with as time goes on and once you get a good, solid grasp on all-things-6.0 (which I'm slowly learning will never COMPETELY happen with anyone human) you can safely and accurately find alternate methods of making a quick diagnosis.

Dave

hey forgot to mention that i checked the egr valve wasnt that coked but everything was wet just out of curiousity would there be oil in exhaust for a blown head gasket? is there oil gallies that run up through the head from the block that could leak into the cylinder? never had one completly torn down thanks

hey forgot to mention that i checked the egr valve wasnt that coked but everything was wet just out of curiousity would there be oil in exhaust for a blown head gasket? is there oil gallies that run up through the head from the block that could leak into the cylinder? never had one completly torn down thanks

Let's get back to the basics of engine fundamentals. A 6.0L engine is a 32-valve V8 OVERHEAD VALVE engine. Where does any overhead valve engine get it's lubrication from? FROM THE HYDRAULIC LIFTERS UP THROUGH THE PUSHRODS. That being said, no there are NO oil galleries that pass through the gasket. If you are insistent that it's oil you see in the exhaust, take a close look at the exhaust side of the turbo when you remove it to test/replace your EGR cooler. If the oil seals have failed on the turbo, it should be obvious when you examine it.

Hey! A new guy! The only pressureized oil in the six oh heads is in the push rods and the high pressure oil system but there is none in the heads themselves. the wet EGR valve is a sure sign the cooler is bad. the only way you will see oil in the exhaust is a major engine failure or a blown turbo

Check your oil level as well. If it is low, then you may have a failed turbo pumping oil out the exhoust. But you will know when you pull the turbo off. But it may be what Keith said: very sooty coolant. Don't forget to check the oil cooler for restriction with the Rad Kit Plus which is explained in the TSB. And you will soon find out that there can be a whole shit load of stuff wrong on one engine rather than just one simple thing. Welcome aboard.

Everyone of the replies you've gotten so far has been right on the money, follow the TSB right down to the letter and be sure to check the EOT and ECT when finished. I just had one that oil cooler passed with the Radkit Plus but failed with a 40F difference in temps.

BTW welcome aboard Rob.