07 5.4 3 valve makin horrible noise

Rate this topic

nunan

alright guys, here's the scoop.

07 f350 came in with a stalling concern. could not get engine to turn over with starter or by hand goin either direction. pulled engine and found it had snapped a rod.

pulled codes prior to engine removal and found #6,7,8 misfire codes and random misfire codes, and a couple others.

rod snapped due to a hydrolock. replaced #8 injector, and performed another leak down test. #7 started leakin, so i replaced that as well.started it up and runs like crap. now, when above 1500, its makin a real high whining sound, like a bad bearing or something. also has a bad misfire as well

sounds like its comin from the trans, but to be sure we removed the belt to make sure it wasnt an accessory. still there.

now since the engine was locked ic ouldnt get that damn torque converter out, so we pulled it with the engine. maybe it was scored from pulling it, or was dry and it fucked somethin up? (advised from another tech not to worry about fillin torque converter)

i've never had a torque converter that wasnt fully seated, but if it wasnt would it make a sound? clunkin or whinin?

i'm at a loss fella's. any help asap would be appreciated. thanks

it very likely that you gouged the front pump bushing when removing the motor.

Quote:
(advised from another tech not to worry about fillin torque converter)

OK I rarely fill converters but I do lube the snout, seal, and pump with trans assembly lube(Vaseline)

did you at least add some fluid to the pan before starting it?

Either that or you didn't have the converter fully installed.

Or damaged the rotors in the front pump when you pulled the converter. I usually pull motor and trans together, then split them on the floor, if they're siezed. Less likely to damage parts that way in my opinion.

Well, not likely actually. I was very clear with both of my new techs about being sure converters are fully seated. Nunan here is a careful young guy. Now I am involved a little deeper as his team leader. The engine is making a ticking/rattling noise, shows three cylinders 5% or more low on relative compression and misses on one of those cylinders. Looks like he has a little dis' assemblin to do! This is a remanufactured long block.

Ford Quality Repaint? /forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/rofl.gif

They don't even paint the freakin' things, anymore.... well - if they can't get the aluminum parts clean, they paint them with aluminum paint...

I forgot the 4R75 I have apart.... Another FQR.... valve body wasn't assembled right, reverse servo cover retainer ate the case, pump bolts weren't tight, forward clutch seals leak, and there's a couple more problems that I haven't listed.... I'm sure this was a "long weekend Friday afternoon trans"....

How about three bent connecting rods? I would have thought Chris would have posted this but I question if FAR engines use old connecting rods? Did we get an engine that may have fallen victim to the failing injectors we see? Did they forget to check these rods?

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/scratchhead.gif

I dont want to sway away from the FQR, but we had similar issue with a Jasper reman. came in with nice shiney "dyno tested by Kevin" label on it. Cant under stand how the hell this guy dyno'd the engine but rebuiler forgot cylinder 8 connecting rod and piston. Technician installed the engine and just that quick it came out. Guess good old quality control going to sh!@ with our country.

I dont want to sway away from the FQR, but we had similar issue with a Jasper reman. came in with nice shiney "dyno tested by Kevin" label on it. Cant under stand how the hell this guy dyno'd the engine but rebuiler forgot cylinder 8 connecting rod and piston. Technician installed the engine and just that quick it came out. Guess good old quality control going to sh!@ with our country.

I dont want to sway away from the FQR, but we had similar issue with a Jasper reman. came in with nice shiny "dyno tested by Kevin" label on it. Cant under stand how the hell this guy dyno'd the engine but rebuilder forgot cylinder 8 connecting rod and piston. Technician installed the engine and just that quick it came out. Guess good old quality control going to sh!@ with our country.

Jasper doesn't live run most engines (unless it's a running complete), they spin them to see if they have oil pressure. With one rod missing, you'd think there would be a balance and OP problem both, but I guess Sh!# happens. I have toured both Jasper's facility and FQR's major facility and was more impressed by Jasper's. When I had the shop we put lots of Jasper units in with a low comeback rate. When we did have a problem, they paid well to fix it.

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/2cents.gif

/forums/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Lost count of how many Jasper units I installed, engines only. Can think of only two failures that required replacements.

Then FQR came around and it was about the same. The funny thing is I would put in a 4.6 2v and they wouldn't even want the core back, seems they had them running out there ears in the rebuild department.

when above 1500, its makin a real high whining sound, like a bad bearing or something.

sounds like its comin from the trans, but to be sure we removed the belt to make sure it wasnt an accessory. still there.

Years ago I got nailed by a whining noise on an contour with a 2.0L. Turns out that the crankcase vent filter was packed up solid and wouldn't allow airflow into the engine. The PCV system pulled the crankcase down to alightly below atmospheric pressure, and the rear main seal started to whine as it passed air into the crankcase.

After locating the noise to the rear main seal area, removing the transmission and flexplate, replacing the rear seal (with no visible defects) reassembling and road testing, only to discover that the noise hadn't changed, I was at my wits end. Then an older tech came along, listened to the noise, reached over and removed the oil dipstick. The noise stopped immediately! He says, "Yeah, I got burned by that one once... You never forget the noise!"

About six months ago, one of my coworkers had the same noise in a vehicle he was working on. I let him go for a while, he started to get frustrated, so I walked over, pulled the dipstick, and said, "Yeah, I got burned by that one once... You never forget the noise!"

Circle of life, man...

• 2 weeks later...

well it was a bad rod due to faulty new injectors. so ford rep came out,looked it over and approved of a new short block and 8 new injectors with the misc gaskets. put it all together, went to go plug in oil temp connector and BOOM. wrong oil pan on short block..never bothered to look at it. had a bitch of a time getting the old pan out, and swapping it from the engine with the shot rod. all is well now. runs great, shifts well and sounds nice and quiet. time will tell with these new injectors. i leak tested them before i put them in and they were fire. i also cleaned the fuel rail with about a can and a half of brake clean and blew it out real well with a blow gun, as well as cleaned the intake AGAIN. other than a few mishaps due to my own inexperience..wasnt too bad. definately learned a few lessons for the future to look at. thanks for your help

AWW MAN I had the same thing!

Got the motor in the truck and everything, and here's this wiring connector that seemingly doesn't go anywhere!

Wrong damn pan!

That SUCKED.

Glad you got 'er fixed up though man!

thanks.

i'm glad i have a breaker bar taller than my girlfriend. came inhandy for bending the pan so i could get it out lol. ah, gotta love leverage.